EMTS with medical issues?

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
Hi Im going to become a junior emt-b over the summer (im 15 going on 16 in a few months) and i have type 1 diabetes and was just wondering if anyone else has this and had any tips about dealing with it being an emt and everything thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Hi Im going to become a junior emt-b over the summer (im 15 going on 16 in a few months) and i have type 1 diabetes and was just wondering if anyone else has this and had any tips about dealing with it being an emt and everything thanks

Ummmm, you should go to the forum "emt with mental illness", or other illnesses, and check it out. Im not saying you have a mental illness, but there is a whole crap load of info from other users in that thread about what you are asking.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
First time you have an episode of insulin shock, are difficult to awake, or become the slightest bit disoriented on the job, expect to have your license pulled. Seen more than a couple of diabetics pushed out of EMS because of it. Be aware that this may end up seriously limiting any long term career aspirations you may have. Then again, you may sneak by for thirty years too. You never know. Just don't come in without that realizatilon in the back of your mind. Keep other options open. Good luck.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've known several EMTs and medics who had diabetes. One girl even had an insulin pump. I think there's plenty of room for the special needs of a person with diabetes in EMS.

Bring your lunch. Never run out of snacks in your bag. Stay as healthy as you can. I really think this is not a big deal, as long as you are proactively looking for ways to make sure you keep your blood glucose as stable as possible.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It is certainly doable-- that is, working with IDDM, as I have seen a good friend of mine do it without a problem for several years. Some considerations based on my limited understand:

--Bring enough food (carbs and sugars) to last your entire shift (dont expect to be able to stop and get food), the same goes for water
--Consider using CGM (constant glucose monitoring)-- you may be busy as a high or low is coming on, and both the advanced notice and annoying sound is helpful in corrections. The same goes for your pump.
-- If you dont use CGM, test early and often. Due to nerves, sleep, calls, etc, be prepared for your sugars to fly around.
-- Take note of your A1C-- how low is it? How tight of control have you been able to keep so far? Consider talking to your PCP or endo about this before starting to ride.

dallasdame

Forum Ride Along
There are a lot of EMTs out there that have medical problems and they have wonderful careers in EMS, on and off the truck. The important thing to remember is that you have to take care of yourself before you are able to take care of others. You have to put you first.

Best wishes.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
understand that the stress and lack of sleep will be issues you will have to address. One of the best medics I've seen is a type I diabetic. He manages it very well and has few problems from it. The only work related problem was when he came home from working a particularly nasty shift and was very tired. He accidently grabbed the wrong syringe and took insulin before nodding off to sleep. We found him combative with a blood glucose of 16. Had he not been tired from shift, he probably wouldn't have made the initial mistake of grabbing the wrong syringe. Had he not been so tired, he would have been awake enough to notice the early signs of the hypoglycemia. Luckily it happened at home, not on shift so there was no danger to pt's or inability to do his job.

This example is one where the medic was meticulous in monitoring his diabetes. He ate well, was very active, young and in excellent health otherwise. But it shows how easily the wrong set of circumstances can add up to a problem. However slight, the risk does exist and agencies have to be careful about their liability.

Legally controlled diabetes cannot be used as a criteria for not hiring you, or for firing you. But, depending on how competitive the job market is, it may be a factor when a company is trying to decide between you and another applicant.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief