EMTLife Vitals Hall of Fame

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
We had another patient who was a DNR who was in V fib for 27 mins before finally going asystole.

Reminds me of another one from my FFX days...14 defibs. You could smell the burning by the end of the call.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Reminds me of another one from my FFX days...14 defibs. You could smell the burning by the end of the call.

Had an arrest while doing clinicals where the patient received eight shocks to correct vfib on the way in and then 12 more in the hospital. "Survived" to ICU I think.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
In one patient when I was a medic student (2004)...

8mg of epi
3mg of atropine
200mg of lidocaine
100mEq of HCO3
1g of CaCl (new Dx of ESKD)
16? defibs
1 cardioversion
and I think we got TCP in there somewhere, too.

We got ROSC multiple times that lasted no more than a minute or two.

We worked her on scene for 30 minutes and then a 15-20 minute transport to the hospital.

I also got my first field ETI on this call.

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
Had a call the other day where it came out as an unknown emergency..

Aos to find an 77 y/o/f who was caox3.. BP 112/76 (around there dont remember exactly) bs equal and bilateral. BGL 20 and could have a conversation with you.. I told her congratulations.. That she has won the lowest BGL while being able to talk award... She laughed it off and finally agreed to go to the ER to get checked out..

A few months ago we ran a respiratory distress call.. AOS to find a middle 50's woman who was c/o DIB. started obtaining baseline vitals while my partner was getting hx and meds from her husband.. Pulse Ox showed her to be at 30%..
Needless to say she had a hypoxic seizure before we managed to get her to the truck. Ended up having to intubate and bag her en-route.. Never heard if she managed to come home after that trip.:sad:

Pt called for blood pressure issues.. AOS to find x aged female laying on the couch.. Pt stated that her home health nurse told her earlier that day she had Orthostatic hypotension.. Obtained baseline vitals etc..

BP while laying supine : 150/90
BP while sitting upright : 86/72
BP while standing : 70/30

Hands down the worst case of Orthostatic HTN I have ever seen.. Even the ER Dr was amazed..

Think she has an issue with Ejection Fraction..... Ya think?

Anjel

Forum Angel
BGL over 2000.

Had a pt like that a couple days ago. She was 26 quit dialysis, quit taking insulin.

She was unconsciously combative. And seized on us.

RSI when we got to the ER. She is only expected to live a couple more days.

PH was 7.3

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I apologize. Just reread my post. My 13K+ was discharged home and did NOT die.

Upgraded software on this @#%& phone.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Wow...sounds more like HHNK. You usually expect a 7.0 or lower in a case like that...

They were very confused. Her bicarbonate levels were low as well. They RSI'd and she kept bucking and fighting the vent in inspiration.

The medic was arguing that something needed to come down from 600 to 500 on the vent settings. Forgive my ignorance with that area of things. Haven't quite got that far in class.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
They were very confused. Her bicarbonate levels were low as well. They RSI'd and she kept bucking and fighting the vent in inspiration.

The medic was arguing that something needed to come down from 600 to 500 on the vent settings. Forgive my ignorance with that area of things. Haven't quite got that far in class.

I am assuming tidal volume?

Here is a good write up on vents And ABGs

http://www.icufaqs.org/ventFAQ.doc

Anjel

Forum Angel

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hands down the worst case of Orthostatic HTN I have ever seen.. Even the ER Dr was amazed..

Think she has an issue with Ejection Fraction..... Ya think?

What makes you think she has an issue with her EF? Usually it's the other end of the system causing the problem....