EMT Tricks of the trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys I thought it would be cool to post on here some stuff that EMT's use in the field that are not exactly learned in the classroom setting but you have learned in the field that really helped you out

One thing I learned I think on my first ride out was when just adressing the simple EKG (4 lead)---- White on the right, Green right underneath, smoke over fire referring

Another one is when assessing patients vitals write everything on your glove so that you can remember--- Age, Bp, C/c, Pulse, etc...

Anyone got any good ones?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Another one is when assessing patients vitals write everything on your glove so that you can remember--- Age, Bp, C/c, Pulse, etc...

While everyone has done that at some point, it's not the best thing. You'll get bodily fluids on your gloves and if the writing doesn't get covered or smeared, you'll eventually take them off anyhow.

Better thing is put a small strip of duct tape on your thigh.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
People spend years in EMS discovering these secrets and you want us to just hand them two you.......Just kidding, welcome aboard.

You can use a ford ambulance key as a o2 wrench, to open the cylnder...Shh I dont just tell this stuff to anybody.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'll give you a list (my usual contribution, a list):

1. Do not leave the O2 cylinder turned on, but the flow stopped at the regulator. Everyone at some point considers this, but it will eventually lead to your finding an empty cylinder, and can damage the regulator gauge since it is not designed to sit and resist that sort of pressure.
2. Learn to carry and use your handheld radio left handed. Someday you will need that right hand, it may be tied up doing something, and you will not be able to reach it or use it with your left hand. (Ammo on the right, Commo on the left).
3. If you let brains dry on your pants, you will probably have to wash them twice to get them clean.
4. The loudest patients might be those needing care least, but the quietest often need care more. Loud ones who get quiet are in the most need.

NRNCEMT

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys I thought it would be cool to post on here some stuff that EMT's use in the field that are not exactly learned in the classroom setting but you have learned in the field that really helped you out

One thing I learned I think on my first ride out was when just adressing the simple EKG (4 lead)---- White on the right, Green right underneath, smoke over fire referring

Anyone got any good ones?

Here are a few tips I've learned so far.

One way that I remember is "Sky over grass" = white over green & "Smoke over fire" = black over red.

You can get a O2 sat on a pedi pt. by putting 2-3 fingers in the pulse ox.

If you you have a CABG pt. and his/her staples bust open, you can perform CPR by squeezing the heart with a gloved hand.

I've found out that patients with tattoos on over their arms are easier to get a IV established in, you can use their art as a reference when sticking.

If you have a pt that is hyperventilating, you can put a NRB mask with NO O2 and ask "is that better" and it usually works without a hitch!

If your Medic "loses" or runs out of electrodes and you need to hook someone up to the monitor you can use defib pads to obtain a rhythm.

Your hand held spot light can be used to navigate heavy fog.

reaper

Working Bum

One way that I remember is "Sky over grass" = white over green & "Smoke over fire" = black over red.

If you you have a CABG pt. and his/her staples bust open, you can perform CPR by squeezing the heart with a gloved hand.

I've found out that patients with tattoos on over their arms are easier to get a IV established in, you can use their art as a reference when sticking.

If you have a pt that is hyperventilating, you can put a NRB mask with NO O2 and ask "is that better" and it usually works without a hitch!

If your Medic "loses" or runs out of electrodes and you need to hook someone up to the monitor you can use defib pads to obtain a rhythm.

God I hope you are freaking kidding with these?:rolleyes:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
God I hope you are freaking kidding with these?:rolleyes:

Im hoping the same thing. Squeezing the heart with a gloved hand? :rolleyes:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
You mean you didn't learn that in your EMT-B class? Seems like a pretty basic skill... :D

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

Best trick of the trade is to disregard about 98% of the post above.

Buzz

Forum Captain
Always have tape on you. You never know when you'll need it. It's a decent notepad, handy for fixing things, good for holding a broken valve on an airsplint closed, among many other things.

If you have a patient too small/large, A towel can be used as a one-size fit all c-collar.

Avoid writing on your glove. You will eventually throw them away with something written on there that you still needed. A strip of tape on your pants works well enough.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Most of these are great but don't do any good if you don't know how to get there. Get familiar with your area, there are several clues you can use to figure out where the scene is. For me even number addresses are on the north side of an east-west street and on the east side of a north south street. All avenues in my response area run east west. The 400 block of one street will be the same as the 400 block one block north. Most street signs have smaller print with the block number on it. Compare the two sides of the street and you'll know which direction you have to go. Once you find out the small differences in your areas street designations and such you will rarely need a map to find a place much less GPS.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I try to leave a towel on the head and foot of the stretcher. The head towel is for when its raining, to put over the patient's head, the foot for for particularly tall or poorly positioned patients, to put over their shoes. It makes lifting easier (especially with a white shirt), because you arent wearing their shoes or arching your back...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I just ask them to bend their knees...

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Most people fit best in a Pedi collar. Go ahead. Try it out.
Me? I am a baby no neck.

OP
OP
EMTelite

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks

So far so good guys I like that one about the tape on the leg the seems to make more sense... And also about the Sky over grass thats pretty cool

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
The best trick of all? The lead lines are marked as to where they go! Is it really that hard?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
similar to the towel at the head or foot of the bed,

AMR has a technique for putting sheets on their stretchers. at the feet, be sure to fold the sheet up instead of tucking it in at the bottom.

They refer to it as the "Lompoc foot-fold" because most the people in lompoc have nasty feet. just drape the sheet over their feet and presto.... no more dirty feet to look at! :D

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
If you place the Thumbwheel all the way up to the bottom of the IV bag, you will get no air bubbles in the line.:)

OP
OP
EMTelite

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
The best trick of all? The lead lines are marked as to where they go! Is it really that hard?

But they are colored some people recoginize colors before they can read the letters on it so it therefore makes it easier its just like remembering tricks for tests like things that ryhme with words and associating answers with things that might remind you of the answer on the test

Status
Not open for further replies.