EMT-Tactical Training

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
My mother in law is in VA! How exciting! Is the class held there? Are you going to take it too?

Oh, can you like, give me the details of who teaches etc so I can investigate further?

I wanted to take it this past June but couldn't make it.

Its held at the annual Rescue College. Here is the website. http://www.vavrs.com/rescue_college.htm

Not much on there yet. But as it gets closer to next June, they will have more information on there. I'm pretty sure its 3 days long.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Hope that information helps you out. Are you going to try and go? Or just tell your mother-in-law?

I'm gonna try to go. I was excited that she lives there so I can get free accommodation. See? LOL And she'll cook me nice dinners :p

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Gotta love in-laws (I guess :rolleyes:) So where does she live?

I dunno actually.. LOL. I've only been there like.. once.

Do you know how much this costs, you're right. There's not a whole lot of info for that specific training but there's so many other courses! It's like a playground! lol

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
I dunno actually.. LOL. I've only been there like.. once.

Do you know how much this costs, you're right. There's not a whole lot of info for that specific training but there's so many other courses! It's like a playground! lol

Wow..OK lol.

I can't remember prices. Not very expensive I don't think. But my squad always pays for us to go. Yeah, there are a lot of courses. Some people go all week. (As some classes last all week) I took EMS Management-Administrative and EMS Management-Operations, back in 2006. They were both good classes.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Wow..OK lol.

I can't remember prices. Not very expensive I don't think. But my squad always pays for us to go. Yeah, there are a lot of courses. Some people go all week. (As some classes last all week) I took EMS Management-Administrative and EMS Management-Operations, back in 2006. They were both good classes.

Ah, you're lucky you're hired somewhere. I can only get ride time in East St Louis. Which is great because I'm told I'll get a wide variety of calls but also I hear it's kinda dangerous.

But, eh. It's all fun and games, right? :wacko:

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Yep! They will pay up front for EMT-B class. But will reimburse you for ALS classes. Part of their R&R program. (Which I'm a part of :lol:)

man, I need to get in on this. Are you on a fire service or something?

Well, I hope I'll get to see you at the training in June. I think that's a good time frame for me. Gimme time to get a few decent hours under my belt and get into better shape!

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
What was meant by going overseas was working as a private security contractor; having previous experience before you start their own training is pretty much a requirement, though any decent company will want real-world experience, not just a class.

To be honest, I would recommend not bothering to take a course like this. Unless you are already working for a tactical team (SWAT, SERT, ERT etc) and this is how they get you your initial training, it's pointless, and, very likely, you will be around a bunch of whackers and wannabe rambo's. Anything you do learn you will very likely not be using, and, as a basic, anything medical you can learn/do will be minimal. (and again, think about who will actually be there AND who is teaching it; check that thoroughly if you do go).

Generally speaking, real tactical medics are part of whatever team they work with, either as sworn officers or through a contract with their service. If this is something you actually want to do, find out what is done in your area and start that way. If you get accepted as a team member, any good team will see to your training.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Most squad cars have either an M4 / AR-15, or a shotgun, and many agencies are dropping the 9mm for a .40 /.45 cal. Departments learned their lesson after the Hollywood shootout.
What they learned (again) from the Hollywood shootout is that handguns (of any caliber) are poor performers against body armor. They learned that their officers need a long gun. Typically a rifle in .223 is issued/used. Oh, and that shootout only stopped (really) when the 1st suspect committed suicide and the other was cornered and subsequently fatally injured in an unarmored area of his body.

Many departments still issue and authorize 9mm handguns for duty use.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
What was meant by going overseas was working as a private security contractor; having previous experience before you start their own training is pretty much a requirement, though any decent company will want real-world experience, not just a class.

To be honest, I would recommend not bothering to take a course like this. Unless you are already working for a tactical team (SWAT, SERT, ERT etc) and this is how they get you your initial training, it's pointless, and, very likely, you will be around a bunch of whackers and wannabe rambo's. Anything you do learn you will very likely not be using, and, as a basic, anything medical you can learn/do will be minimal. (and again, think about who will actually be there AND who is teaching it; check that thoroughly if you do go).

Generally speaking, real tactical medics are part of whatever team they work with, either as sworn officers or through a contract with their service. If this is something you actually want to do, find out what is done in your area and start that way. If you get accepted as a team member, any good team will see to your training.

I just wanted to have training that my competitors don't. I have a lot of people applying to the same jobs as I and really, I thought this might help.

Besides, I really wanna learn all that stuff in the curriculum! ^_^

reaper

Working Bum
Honestly, It will be of no help in getting an ambulance job. Most of these schools prey on new EMT's and take their money.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly, It will be of no help in getting an ambulance job. Most of these schools prey on new EMT's and take their money.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about, which is why I started this thread. I figured I'm jst gonna start my general classes for medic associate's.. Get them all out of the way before I really start the hard stuff.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
What they learned (again) from the Hollywood shootout is that handguns (of any caliber) are poor performers against body armor. They learned that their officers need a long gun. Typically a rifle in .223 is issued/used. Oh, and that shootout only stopped (really) when the 1st suspect committed suicide and the other was cornered and subsequently fatally injured in an unarmored area of his body.

Many departments still issue and authorize 9mm handguns for duty use.

Yeah, I've never seen a cop carry anything bigger than a 9mm. And trust me, I notice cos I'm still not used to seeing cops carrying guns lol

reaper

Working Bum
Yeah, that's what I was wondering about, which is why I started this thread. I figured I'm jst gonna start my general classes for medic associate's.. Get them all out of the way before I really start the hard stuff.

That would be money wisely spent!

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
That would be money wisely spent!

well, you gotta realize.. I'm still trying to figure out how the American Education system works. I JUST found out I can take the general courses like Gen Psych, English etc before really embarking on the whole paramedic stuff like ride time.. you know?

In England, if I were to do this course, I would have to do it exactly how they planned it out, when they planned it out and have like no control over it.

This is so cool!!!