EMT-Tactical Training

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
I just passed my EMT-B class and is partaking in ride alongs in East St Louis. There seems to be a shortage of jobs available and so I have been investigating other training I can do while I am preparing for a job.

I came across the EMT-Tactical certification but I don't really know anything about it except private companies that offer this training on a 5 day course.

Is this something that you guys know about? Is it worth doing, how is it different to Paramedic school and do any of you guys know of a good place to do this?

Basically, any info on the Tactical certification would be gratefully appreciated ^_^

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Don't waste your money... Especially if you plan to stay stateside.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Don't waste your money... Especially if you plan to stay stateside.

Well, being a military spouse, and a British citizen, there's no plans for staying anywhere.

Why do you say this? I really have no idea why you said if I plan on staying state side. Could you elaborate?

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
I don't know where you're from, but in my area tactical certification requires you to already be certified EMT-P and basic peace officer certification.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know where you're from, but in my area tactical certification requires you to already be certified EMT-P and basic peace officer certification.

Is "peace officer" the political new name for police officer?

This one website I found said EMT-B was the minimum requirement. which is why I was rather..baffled by the curriculum.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Is "peace officer" the political new name for police officer?

This one website I found said EMT-B was the minimum requirement. which is why I was rather..baffled by the curriculum.

I don't think its a political thing. It's simply what the certification is called in Ohio.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Peace Officer is a term that encompasses a whole bunch of Law Enforcement roles that includes Police Officer, Sheriff's Deputy, State Trooper, Constable... the key thing is that they're the people that go out to keep the peace. There's a ton of other LEOs that don't do that.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Out here in California, if you want to have a medic on your tactical team as part of the entry team, you just take a Paramedic, send 'em through PC 832 and a TEMS course... and perhaps through a SWAT course. Doing that is much faster & cheaper than taking an officer and putting them through Paramedic School. You're looking at about 1 month of training vs 1 year of training...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tactical EMT or such is more a skill set than a job.

You get assigned to it then get trained, or you get assigned to do it because you are trained, but you may be waiting a long time for an ad that asks for teactical med techs. Law enforcement won't want to hire another person with limited skills, or lose a position off their manning document by replacing a sworn officer with a persion which is not primarily a sworn officer.

(Sworn officers make arrests etc. Other officers shuffle records, act as medical workers of various levels, supervise inmates or work relkease programs etc.).

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Chances are, if your department is large enough, there'll be someone who has medical training, and that's the cheapest way to go. The other way is to have someone seconded to them, specifically for the purpose of being a Tactical Medic. They typically DON'T advertise publicly about those positions.

I just posted the minimum stuff.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Yes a peace officer is a police officer.

I thought so. I guess it's to change the reputation or relationship between officers and the public and get back to the cops protecting and being friendly and reliable. Like the bobby!

It's a political thing to improve the image so people aren't so intimidated by them.

I would love to be a cop. Although the thought of the public being allowed to have bigger guns than the cops carry is not the best thing ever...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You didn't read my reply about the drunk with the glass....

Two people arguing about whose larger caliber firearm will kill the other one deader usually ends with someone getting punctuated in midbreath and chances are better than even it's the little guy doing the shooting.

Now, rounds per minute counts if you're a poor shot...

Peace officer can also include game wardens, animal control officers, Customs agents, fire inspectors in some areas, forest rangers, tribal nation law enforcement....probably not Security at Ozzy Osbourne concerts though.

Now where were we?......:blush:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
OK, so.. is a peace officer a police officer?

Peace Officer is the correct term for LEO's.

Although the thought of the public being allowed to have bigger guns than the cops carry is not the best thing ever...

Most squad cars have either an M4 / AR-15, or a shotgun, and many agencies are dropping the 9mm for a .40 /.45 cal. Departments learned their lesson after the Hollywood shootout.

My personal goal has always been to be a peace officer, but now that I'm on track to be a medic, I'll be very happy to be a tac-medic... just need to find out who does it in Ft Worth >_<

resq330

Forum Lieutenant

In VA we can take the Tactical Medic class as an EMT-B. I say go for it Xina

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
Most of the EMT-T schools only require EMT-B as long as the EMT realizes the skills they learn have to be approved by their med control.

Peace officer was the original name of police officer. We went over it in a criminal justice class I took once. I don't remember the specifics of it though.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Two people arguing about whose larger caliber firearm will kill the other one deader usually ends with someone getting punctuated in midbreath and chances are better than even it's the little guy doing the shooting.

Now, rounds per minute counts if you're a poor shot...

Peace officer can also include game wardens, animal control officers, Customs agents, fire inspectors in some areas, forest rangers, tribal nation law enforcement....probably not Security at Ozzy Osbourne concerts though.

Now where were we?......:blush:.

Dude, Ozzy is AWESOME! We both come from Birmingham, UK woohoo!!

OK, I wanna be a Forest Ranger then. Get to be with the trees.

So, I'm figuring, these training courses are rather.... not worth doing? I thought it would be advantageous to have it than not, because I'm having to compete with people who got their EMT-B certification last year or even the year before with far more ride time hours.

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
Peace Officer is the correct term for LEO's.

Most squad cars have either an M4 / AR-15, or a shotgun, and many agencies are dropping the 9mm for a .40 /.45 cal. Departments learned their lesson after the Hollywood shootout.

My personal goal has always been to be a peace officer, but now that I'm on track to be a medic, I'll be very happy to be a tac-medic... just need to find out who does it in Ft Worth >_<

Oh, you see, I've gotta pay more attention to what the cops are parading around town LOL

OP
OP
Miss Xina

Miss Xina

Forum Lieutenant
In VA we can take the Tactical Medic class as an EMT-B. I say go for it Xina

My mother in law is in VA! How exciting! Is the class held there? Are you going to take it too?

Oh, can you like, give me the details of who teaches etc so I can investigate further?