EMT Reality Check

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Hi Guys,

I've longed rubbed shoulders with EMT's, Paramedics, Fire Fighters, Police, etc through my Army vocation, American Legion and other activities (Ham Radio too). I've always wanted to be involved in Emergency Care / services in the realm of volunteer (not paid). My local Ambulance Corp requires one 12 hour shift a week and one Saturday every 5 weeks along with training, etc. I am also signed up to begin an EMT class that is held at the Corp too which is something I have always wanted to do.

Here's the reality:
- I am 46
- I am a disabled Vet (motorcycle accident & Fibromyalgia - which causes fatigue which I control). I lived with an MS diagnosis for 10 years that is off the table now (MRI's too clean and lack of severe progression) ... I am mobile and believe I should be able to do what is physically required - even the lifting.
- I could never work a full 5 day week anymore -- that's why I like the volunteer route with the 1 day shifts weekly.

I am an ex-Army MP / SWAT, have Ham Radio skills and am also an IT person. I've got other stuff but I know it all doesn't really matter in the end because you don't want to become a second patient.

I understand my limitations with fatigue and overdoing it, I do not have seizures or a seizure disorder, I can drive with no problems and I am good and clear thinking under pressure.

The EMT certification is two-fold for me: helping others through public service and my bucket list. I am a life-long learner and I know that in this field there is such a wonderful sense of fraternity and always new stuff to learn.

Is 46 too old for beginning EMT? I have an appt. with the CIC instructor who is a woman and belongs to the Corp I am in the process of joining. I am set for my 3 ride-alongs next week and am excited. I also have to do a job assessment (lugging equipment) which I think will be the real tell-all. I think I should be able to do it.

Just seeking some feedback. The attitude, will and mind is there for me ... I just want my physical self to be able to meet me there. So far, looking good.

Reality check ...

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
There have been a ton of people who have posted and asked before if they are too old for this job, and often we just tell them we've seen older do it, but I'll add I've seen younger who can't. Age is only one of many factors to consider.

I'd also like to add that I am a little tired of reading posts where people list reasons why they can't do it, but then write something after it that makes it seem like it's not an issue , and then ask us if they can do it e.g. "I broke my leg, but I can still walk. Can I walk still?"

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
There have been a ton of people who have posted and asked before if they are too old for this job, and often we just tell them we've seen older do it, but I'll add I've seen younger who can't. Age is only one of many factors to consider.

I'd also like to add that I am a little tired of reading posts where people list reasons why they can't do it, but then write something after it that makes it seem like it's not an issue , and then ask us if they can do it e.g. "I broke my leg, but I can still walk. Can I walk still?"

I guess I can't know until I try.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
What IS your reality?

One of the important things you'll have to consider is stamina. With EMS, we do not pick and choose our calls, nor do we expect them to conform to time-limitations. It doesn't matter if you're paid, Volly or Fire, when the calls are out there, you gotta do 'em.

So the thing you need to ask yourself is, can you handle three or four physically demanding calls in a row, each of which keeps you hopping for an hour or more?

If you would do fine on calls One and Two, would your patient care suffer by the time you get to Three or Four?

These are questions that you will have to be brutally honest with yourself about. The Cavalry doesn't always get there on time. A one-day per week shift could easily put you into the Red Zone; depending on the day.

Your body has had to deal with quite a bit of trauma. Age is secondary to ability; that's what you need to look at.

This is not meant to discourage you, rather it's a challenge to do what you love, but make sure no consequences fall on your patients.

Best of Fortune!

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
One of the important things you'll have to consider is stamina. With EMS, we do not pick and choose our calls, nor do we expect them to conform to time-limitations. It doesn't matter if you're paid, Volly or Fire, when the calls are out there, you gotta do 'em.

So the thing you need to ask yourself is, can you handle three or four physically demanding calls in a row, each of which keeps you hopping for an hour or more?

If you would do fine on calls One and Two, would your patient care suffer by the time you get to Three or Four?

These are questions that you will have to be brutally honest with yourself about. The Cavalry doesn't always get there on time. A one-day per week shift could easily put you into the Red Zone; depending on the day.

Your body has had to deal with quite a bit of trauma. Age is secondary to ability; that's what you need to look at.

This is not meant to discourage you, rather it's a challenge to do what you love, but make sure no consequences fall on your patients.

Best of Fortune!

Stamina is a big one for me -- I do not have a ton of it. I have bursts but the red zone might come more quickly than I like. I will have an honest talk with the instructor and get her feedback. I will also do a bit of self-examination. I know I could run the radio, and do other things. I will have to discuss it.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it!

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
As has been mentioned, age is not really a factor. I am 48 and just starting out. I have also found myself on the ambulances for a private company. Mainly IFT with some non-emergent 911 calls thrown in. No I don't have any physical limitations, admittedly, but I wasn't only thinking ambulance work when I did the course...there is a big door that opens up when you qualify, ER, doctors surgeries and I have even toyed with the idea of doing the seasonal flu jabs for pin money. If your mind is set on doing an EMT course my advice is DO IT. If you don't at least give it a go you will regret it forever. Wishing you the best of luck...

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
I'm barely past my mid twenties and the "kids" I see working make me feel old. It's all about attitude. If you can ignore that then you'll be fine.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
what does your service run for staff. if it is2 do you have the option of riding third?
the reason I ask is I have done ALS intercepts and it seems that every time it is with a volly service there are like 3-5 in the truck.

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Lots to ask ....

I have 3 ride-alongs set for next week and I will get the chance to see things in action. I live in a suburb serviced by a lot of different ambulance companies and fire departments, so I am not sure how busy things get. My town is actually pretty small.

Will definitely ask questions.

Thanks!

Diana

Last edited by a moderator:

bw2529

Forum Crew Member
what does your service run for staff. if it is2 do you have the option of riding third?
the reason I ask is I have done ALS intercepts and it seems that every time it is with a volly service there are like 3-5 in the truck.

We have a guy in my volunteer service that is 71 years young and in my opinion is an excellent driver and EMT. We generally only get 2 - 3 calls at most in a 12 hour shift, so I imagine that helps keep the exhaustion factor down. Plenty of time for naps. We also try to not run any less than 3 in the rig (duty crew is a driver and 2 "medics" plus the possibility of a trainee). Our primary "medic" must be a carded and cleared EMT-B or higher, but the 2nd "medic" can be a CFR.

SSwain

Forum Captain
I'm 41 and just starting my EMT-B course (half way thru it, actually). There are a couple in my class that are around the 50 yr mark.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Here's the reality:
- I am 46

Not even close to a problem. What percentage of the EMS workforce do you think is over the age of 46? Especially in the bigger, better paid services?

It's a lot.

- I am a disabled Vet (motorcycle accident & Fibromyalgia - which causes fatigue which I control). I lived with an MS diagnosis for 10 years that is off the table now (MRI's too clean and lack of severe progression) ... I am mobile and believe I should be able to do what is physically required - even the lifting.

If you can do what's physically required, you're fine. If you apply to somewhere with a hard physical, expect to have to meet it, whether it's fair or not.

- I could never work a full 5 day week anymore -- that's why I like the volunteer route with the 1 day shifts weekly.

This is slightly concerning. I mean, you have to be able to at least finish the call you're on, if you have fatigue issues. It's also going to create issues eventually if you have to go home sick mid-shift a lot.

Is 46 too old for beginning EMT?

Absolutely, categorically not. I have worked with medics in their 70s wearing hearing aids. I've seen tons of people start EMS as a second career at later than 46. The physical limitations sound like more of a potential problem. But I think that's where you have to be responsible and keep a handle on things. If they're good right now, great. If some point in the future they're not, reassess.

Good luck!

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I have 3 ride-alongs set for next week and I will get the chance to see things in action. I live in a suburb serviced by a lot of different ambulance companies and fire departments, so I am not sure how busy things get. My town is actually pretty small.

Will definitely ask questions.

Thanks!

Diana

BTW, let us know how the rides go

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the advice ...

I have to do the "job assessment" part before I do ride-alongs. This is going to be the physical part: lugging equipment, working with a stretcher and whatever else they have in mind. I actually handle my fatigue through a medication called Provigil / Modafinil and (it's not an amphetamine) but it provides great amounts of stamina as needed. NASA uses it, the military uses it and it's meant for shift workers as well.

I am going to talk openly and honestly with the EMT instructor / CIC and lay it out on the table and see what she has to say. I want to be realistic and fair.

I know a lot of it is on me and hitting the gym and developing some of my core strength back. I've been a computer geek for a little too long.

tacitblue

Forum Crew Member
I have to do the "job assessment" part before I do ride-alongs. This is going to be the physical part: lugging equipment, working with a stretcher and whatever else they have in mind. I actually handle my fatigue through a medication called Provigil / Modafinil and (it's not an amphetamine) but it provides great amounts of stamina as needed. NASA uses it, the military uses it and it's meant for shift workers as well.

I am going to talk openly and honestly with the EMT instructor / CIC and lay it out on the table and see what she has to say. I want to be realistic and fair.

I know a lot of it is on me and hitting the gym and developing some of my core strength back. I've been a computer geek for a little too long.

I am sure you have heard this all before, but it bears repeating for everyone. Practicing some healthy habits will optimize your stamina and energy, lower risk for disease, and give you a healthier mental outlook. Be sure to get a get 7-8 hours of sleep before a shift and if possible, time your sleep with the cycle of the sun as much as you can. Melatonin can be used occasionally to correct your sleep cycle. Eat a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fish, and lean chicken/turkey. Avoid processed grains and limit red meat consumption. There is some evidence supporting daily fish oil (omega 3) supplementation for the treatment mental and physical health. Try and exercise for at least 30 minutes a day if you can, even if that means walking around the neighborhood. If your fibromyalgia prevents daily exercise, then strive for 2-3 times a week. Get out in the sun daily.

While I understand your condition and that it may be a limiting factor for you, these practices will help you maintain the best possible level of "psychic" fitness for the job.

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Right on the money

I am sure you have heard this all before, but it bears repeating for everyone. Practicing some healthy habits will optimize your stamina and energy, lower risk for disease, and give you a healthier mental outlook. Be sure to get a get 7-8 hours of sleep before a shift and if possible, time your sleep with the cycle of the sun as much as you can. Melatonin can be used occasionally to correct your sleep cycle. Eat a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fish, and lean chicken/turkey. Avoid processed grains and limit red meat consumption. There is some evidence supporting daily fish oil (omega 3) supplementation for the treatment mental and physical health. Try and exercise for at least 30 minutes a day if you can, even if that means walking around the neighborhood. If your fibromyalgia prevents daily exercise, then strive for 2-3 times a week. Get out in the sun daily.

While I understand your condition and that it may be a limiting factor for you, these practices will help you maintain the best possible level of "psychic" fitness for the job.

All very good, and practical information. I've been reading about some of the ability / agility test requirements for EMT (the lifts and carries) and that might be the real reality check for me (not the book learning and desire) but physical stamina. I was watching various videos with hauls up and down stairs with about 70-80lbs of equipment, extended CPR, etc. That will be my true test and reality check.

Will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the info and encouragement and most of all "reality check". That's why I started this thread .... :cool:

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
First day of ride-alongs ...

Did my first day of ride-alongs and orientation and it was awesome. I found that I was able to keep my stamina even with several back-to-back calls and taking a lot of information in. I loved it. Some down time and up time. I ended up staying almost 2 hours beyond my shift time because of a last minute call.

I will be back tomorrow for another round and then EMT school starting in January (it looks very probable). I got to observe both EMT's and paramedics in action and help as asked. Things can move quickly but the main feedback I received was "slow down and take a few deep breaths" ...

There was so much to take in and I guess I got caught up in learning and a little hyper. Deep breaths.

Anyone have any tricks for slowing down??