EMT-P Data Dumping

weezeehamilton

Forum Crew Member
Hello all, Ill be taking my NREMT-P test for the SECOND time on Monday. For those who have done a data dump right before starting the test (wrote down formulas, equations, charts etc). What would you suggest that i write down so I dont have to worry about it later?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
ABC

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
This strategy honestly seems pretty low-yield to me. Not that the two mentioned right above this aren't appropriate, but if you have even one question on either of those two, it'll just be one question. There aren't very many overarching pieces of data that you could put down on paper that will help you with more than one very specific question each. A reminder on dimensional analysis could potentially help you with multiple pharm questions. Anything else is going to be so specific that it's very possible you won't even see a question over it. This isn't like physics where a couple formulas can be applied to a large amount of questions.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think if you're basing success on trying to cram before the exam, you're already screwed.

You either know it or you don't.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
This strategy honestly seems pretty low-yield to me. Not that the two mentioned right above this aren't appropriate, but if you have even one question on either of those two, it'll just be one question. There aren't very many overarching pieces of data that you could put down on paper that will help you with more than one very specific question each. A reminder on dimensional analysis could potentially help you with multiple pharm questions. Anything else is going to be so specific that it's very possible you won't even see a question over it. This isn't like physics where a couple formulas can be applied to a large amount of questions.

I agree this is super low yield and was going to make a post like yours.... But then I was like, well, eh, whatever, it probably doesn't hurt to do this, so why not?

On the other hand, maybe it actually would hurt you. Instead of relaxing beforehand and going in with a clear head, you're using a bunch of mental energy to keep all this (probably useless) information in your head.

OP
OP
weezeehamilton

weezeehamilton

Forum Crew Member
I think if you're basing success on trying to cram before the exam, you're already screwed.

You either know it or you don't.
I'm not looking to cram, I'm looking for time savers. My anxiety at test times gets pretty high, which clouds my brain, so the less I have to ponder the better I'll feel. I do agree with you somewhat though. But I also know that in times of anxiety I can forget things that I know or more often, I forget to consider a certain concept

OP
OP
weezeehamilton

weezeehamilton

Forum Crew Member
I agree this is super low yield and was going to make a post like yours.... But then I was like, well, eh, whatever, it probably doesn't hurt to do this, so why not?

On the other hand, maybe it actually would hurt you. Instead of relaxing beforehand and going in with a clear head, you're using a bunch of mental energy to keep all this (probably useless) information in your head.
Makes sense but as an example one of the things I struggle to remember is the normal vitals range for peds of different ages. I think if I'm able to get that down on paper that will save me time and brain power. What do you think?

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Makes sense but as an example one of the things I struggle to remember is the normal vitals range for peds of different ages. I think if I'm able to get that down on paper that will save me time and brain power. What do you think?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the NREMT is going to ask you nitpicky questions that would require you to know if the range for normal blood pressure at a given age is 80-90 vs 85-95, or whatever. Maybe you'd get one question if you're lucky, and you'd probably be able to get the question right even if you hadn't data dumped. Just having an idea of generally where the vitals should be, or maybe memorizing the formula Median SBP = 90 + (age x 2) would be a good idea IMO.

For real world purposes, I keep a cheat sheet in my pocket that has the pedi vitals chart and all pedi dosages on it.

OP
OP
weezeehamilton

weezeehamilton

Forum Crew Member
I hear you but that's what sucks about the test. It could literally ask ANYTHING. And various practice tests from different sources talk about various vitals in different ages of PEDs, which is why I used it as an example

wpaintball44

Forum Ride Along
damn 400 for skills , where did you test at ? Our paramedic skills were 150 and retest " which i didnt need to do , thank god !" would have been 35

Summit

Critical Crazy
congrats!
$400 is very steep... can you do it somewhere else that is cheaper?

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Skills testing was included in my tuition. $400 seems really steep. Where are you, if you don't mind me asking?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Skills testing was included in my tuition. $400 seems really steep. Where are you, if you don't mind me asking?
Same for us. For each skill we had to retest on for medic was $25.