EMT Intermediate in Texas

joeboo

Forum Probie
Question:

I'm a Basic right now. Is there such a thing as an "EMT Intermediate" in Texas? Where would I go to School for this?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Go to state EMS site and you will find that yes there is. You can find many schools for it. Best bet is go to a Paramedic program. Often they allow you to test for it if you want to after the first semester.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
There is, and TX tends to use EMT-Is more than other states due to the rural nature of some places. Where I'm doing P-school allows those who aren't EMT-Is already to test out for it after semester 2.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Just a heads up, though: Tx recognizes I85, not I99. My partner (from VA) found that out the hard way.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just a heads up, though: Tx recognizes I85, not I99. My partner (from VA) found that out the hard way.

But will grant reciprocity with no problems to I/99. And technically TX uses more of an in between since ETI is allowed for EMT-Is

medic417

The Truth Provider
But will grant reciprocity with no problems to I/99. And technically TX uses more of an in between since ETI is allowed for EMT-Is

The state just says emt-i. The medical directors decide how much or how little you get to do.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The state just says emt-i. The medical directors decide how much or how little you get to do.

While this is true, I have yet to come across, or here of, a dept in Tx that has I's pushing cardiac meds. The biggest deviation I've seen is a single I in a system cleared for phenergan and valium.

I didn't realize that ETI wasn't a standard across the country for intermediates.

medic417

The Truth Provider
While this is true, I have yet to come across, or here of, a dept in Tx that has I's pushing cardiac meds.

There are several that do cardiac and even RSI.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
While this is true, I have yet to come across, or here of, a dept in Tx that has I's pushing cardiac meds. The biggest deviation I've seen is a single I in a system cleared for phenergan and valium.

I didn't realize that ETI wasn't a standard across the country for intermediates.

Hi, I can do first line ACLS meds :) And ETI for EMT-Is is only I/99 usually. NM EMT-Is cannot do ETI for example. I had to jump through a few extra hoops to gain reciprocity as an EMT-I since I'm an I/85, and one of them was proving competence in ETI (which my NREMT-P practical results satisfied that requirement)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Hi, I can do first line ACLS meds :) And ETI for EMT-Is is only I/99 usually. NM EMT-Is cannot do ETI for example. I had to jump through a few extra hoops to gain reciprocity as an EMT-I since I'm an I/85, and one of them was proving competence in ETI (which my NREMT-P practical results satisfied that requirement)

And I stand corrected :p What service are you with?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Last edited by a moderator: