EMT Dies after being struck by car

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Absolutely tragic!

Scene safety and common sense must always prevail. The second you fail to bring both to your decision making process is the moment you just made yourself a potential statistic.

RIP, thoughts and prayers to her family.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Ouch that hits a little close to home. Thanks for posting this to remind us that we need to all be careful out there. My thoughts are with this womans family and friends.

atropine

Forum Captain
This is unfortunate, but 100 percent preventable, let the professionals on duty do there job. I don't know if she had on any reflective material, which is the standard on all road incidents were I come from, but just a reflective vest could have helped, just my opinion. Thoughts and prayers for her and her family, again very unfortunate.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Come on people, we all know BSI scene safe etc. Lets not criticize, make judgement or whatever...none of us were there, none of us knows what happened and the news report informs us of nothing but the death of a comrade. Lets just remember her and thank her for her service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Absolutely tragic!

Scene safety and common sense must always prevail. The second you fail to bring both to your decision making process is the moment you just made yourself a potential statistic.

This.

I do hope those who choose to be particularly vocal regarding the ethical, moral, or (god forbid) 'legal obligation' to stop and render aid when off duty, can give pause for thought and see the senselessness of this and other tragedies like it.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
This is unfortunate, but 100 percent preventable, let the professionals on duty do there job. I don't know if she had on any reflective material, which is the standard on all road incidents were I come from, but just a reflective vest could have helped, just my opinion.

Not only is it a standard, it is also federal law and applicable / amended in all 50 States.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Come on people, we all know BSI scene safe etc. Lets not criticize, make judgement or whatever...none of us were there, none of us knows what happened and the news report informs us of nothing but the death of a comrade. Lets just remember her and thank her for her service.

Excellent point. We have no idea what the situation was. For all we know she might have been trained in traffic control, have been wearing a vest and have done everything right. This is something that could happen to any one of us at anytime, on or off duty.

atropine

Forum Captain
This.

I do hope those who choose to be particularly vocal regarding the ethical, moral, or (god forbid) 'legal obligation' to stop and render aid when off duty, can give pause for thought and see the senselessness of this and other tragedies like it.

I didn't know of anyone who is obligated to render care when off duty, in Cali your not obligated to do so.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
I didn't know of anyone who is obligated to render care when off duty, in Cali your not obligated to do so.

Regardless of the cause - a fellow worker passed away and this thread should be for condolences or realizing how lucky we are. Not to question her actions. I wasn't there, you weren't there.

RIP

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
If we never discuss these events we will never learn anything. It is too bad that someone has died, but we can not avoid ever discussing events like these out of some emotionally driven need to absolve the dead of any responsibility for their demise.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
If we never discuss these events we will never learn anything. It is too bad that someone has died, but we can not avoid ever discussing events like these out of some emotionally driven need to absolve the dead of any responsibility for their demise.

This is the "gold star" of the thread!

Yes, it is tragic that an EMT lost her life. The greater issue though is the failure of this trained individual to properly place the essentials of personal safety before the mythical belief that presence equals saving a life. This particular situation is especially troublesome as the EMT was not even performing duties of an EMT within their scope of practice. She was attempting to provide traffic control that, and I'm going out on a limb here, she probably wasn't qualified to perform. Looking into this accident, I have found evidence that she was NOT in fact wearing a reflective vest which is required of EVERY emergency worker on EVERY call that is on a public right of way. Furthermore, as a flagger instructor, I can state that the training individual agencies give on "traffic control" is insufficient and very few know the proper way to set up and control traffic in temporary traffic control zones. In addition, I place doubt on her being properly equipped with the required flag or stop/slow paddle.

Regardless of specifics, this event once again places the reminder to all of us that we need to check our emotions and false beliefs that we have to be everywhere, everytime. Personal safety always comes first, make the decision to deviate from that and you make the decision to accept any fate that comes your way.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry to hear of such a loss. God Bless her for all her time and duty as an EMT.