EMT Clinical ride alongs in a different county?

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
Not even a hypothetical scenario: I'm finishing an EMT basic course in Los Angeles county (incl. the expanded scope there) but live in Orange county.

Is it possible to complete the ambulance ride along hours in a different county from the one you'll license into at graduation and passing NREMT?

If so, are there any student-friendly companies near Huntington Beach who wouldn't mind sharing 12 hours with a kindly old fellow :D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes. Your EMT class should have a list of places that they have a contract with to ride out.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
I would venture a guess and say that since you did your course in LA, including the expanded scope portion, that you'll be stuck doing it up there. Don't sweat it, it's just a couple days to drive up!

nightside

Forum Ride Along
where does your license actually come from?

In michigan we are licensed by the state of michigan. As long as the school had a contract with an agency it wouldn't matter where we did clinicals or third rides. It isn't until after licensing or even until after hiring at an agency that you may have to take a protocol test for that local medical control authority. The first medic class i took i was actually able to do a couple third rides out of state. Did three days in a row with Toledo Fire.