EMT Books

Garang

Forum Ride Along
Greetings I am trying to decide between these 2 books.

1) Emergency Care in the Streets (6th edition) by Nancy Caroline

2) Essentials of Paramedic Care (2nd Edition) by Bryan E. Bledshoe

I am have personally look through and read through the 5th edition of 1) So I am happy with it, but I have also looked through (quick one) through 2) and realise it is even more systematic and easier to read than 1).

ANybody mind sharing their thoughts or experience on this?

Thank you

Cheers
Garang

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
These are both National Standard EMT-P / Paramedic texts.

What is the purpose for your purchase of the book?

OP
OP
G

Garang

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your reply Jon,

I am currently a volunteer EMT-B doing my EMT-I, while I am not likely to do my EMT-P in the near future (without some more experience), I would like to purchase a book that covers the whole spectrum of EMT syallabus for my own knowledge.

I was exposed to the Nancy Caroline's book when a coursemate of mine during EMT-I, used it. I read it and found it to be very detailed, well organised and systematic (by chapters).

Another friend of mine (a regular paramedic) recommended Bryan Bledshoe's book as he mentioned that it was even easier to read as the book was divided into division of patient assessment, instead of the traditional chapter based.

Perhaps you can share your thoughts on this?

Cheers
Garang

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Greetings I am trying to decide between these 2 books.

1) Emergency Care in the Streets (6th edition) by Nancy Caroline

2) Essentials of Paramedic Care (2nd Edition) by Bryan E. Bledshoe

I am have personally look through and read through the 5th edition of 1) So I am happy with it, but I have also looked through (quick one) through 2) and realise it is even more systematic and easier to read than 1).

ANybody mind sharing their thoughts or experience on this?

Thank you

Cheers
Garang

It all depends on your style or thirst for knowledge. If you have very little science background and need some simplicity then I would recommend Caroline's and unfortunately Bledsoe's "Essentials is just maybe a little step more.

Although, more expensive is Bledsoe's series of Paramedic Care. It is at least divided up and more in-depth. I highly recommend starting out, obtaining a general anatomy & physiology book like the series "For Dummies" .. It will wet your appetite for wanting to learn more, without breaking your pocket book.

You will see the more you know about the engine the better mechanic you can be.

R/r 911

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Is it possible to advance from EMT-B to EMT-I from reading books and then getting the knowledge to take the exam. How about EMT-P? Reason I am asking is I have failed to find any EMT-P classes at night around here. I can take A&P I, II at night. I still have to get EMT-B in the fall but am trying to look ahead and see what its going to take to get EMT-P.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Is it possible to advance from EMT-B to EMT-I from reading books and then getting the knowledge to take the exam. How about EMT-P? Reason I am asking is I have failed to find any EMT-P classes at night around here. I can take A&P I, II at night. I still have to get EMT-B in the fall but am trying to look ahead and see what its going to take to get EMT-P.
If your talking about testing out of a level then no you cannot do it cause you need the hands on time. plus you would only learn the didactic portion andd wouldn't get the skills that you obtain from the Interships and clinicals.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
If your talking about testing out of a level then no you cannot do it cause you need the hands on time. plus you would only learn the didactic portion andd wouldn't get the skills that you obtain from the Interships and clinicals.

Not to mention the whole "authorized to test" thing that your instructor has to put into the NREMT system....

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Can anyone recommend some good books that I could read before starting EMT-B? Should I wait until class starts and not get any books?

Thanks

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Can anyone recommend some good books that I could read before starting EMT-B? Should I wait until class starts and not get any books?

Thanks

Get a copy of the book you'll be using for class. That will probably be the best preparation. We used Brady 10th ed and it seemed to work pretty well. Good luck!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Get a copy of the book you'll be using for class. That will probably be the best preparation. We used Brady 10th ed and it seemed to work pretty well. Good luck!
ditto, it should be available at your college book store. just as the cashier what book is needed for your class. then at least you know you have your book for class and you didn't spend any extra money.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks, I will have to wait for financial aid to come in before getting it. It isn't in stock at the local bookstore.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Thanks, I will have to wait for financial aid to come in before getting it. It isn't in stock at the local bookstore.
get it off amazon.com...figure out which one you need and buy it used off amazon. they always have the used books for your class for dirt cheap.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Thanks
Before you go buying a text - double check with the course that they don't supply one.

Also.. make sure you get the right text/edition. It might be best to wait until you actually start class and/or are instructed by the school to purchase the text prior to starting class.

EMT-B is NOT rocket science... plenty of firefighters pass the course without much trouble (I'm kidding... for the most part ;)).

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
The Brady EC 11th edition is coming out in August. Again, as Jon suggested, make sure you get the right edition. If your class is not until later this year, my bet is they will use the new edition.