EMT-Basic Soon, Recommendations

wchawkins

Forum Probie
Hello all!

I am going to be starting my EMT-Basic training very soon, and wanted to know if there were any recommendations you guys have for someone starting fresh. Anything at all would be really helpful. I am really excited about finally getting started with my classes.

Thanks again!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Read your book, read your skill sheets, keep an open mind during criticism. Brush up on your study skills if it's been a while since you've been in school. Of course, you may not really need them.

OP
OP
wchawkins

wchawkins

Forum Probie
This being something that I am truly interested in, my study skills will not be a factor here.

Thanks for the input!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
ditto. take your constructive criticism well from your teacher. When they say read the boo that means read the book. the quizzes are never on what you learned in class but rather on what you were supposed to read in the book. class is fun and don't worry about being the best at everything. practice will make you a good EMT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Brush up on reading skills, many EMT students either:
A. Do not read above the 6'th grade level
B. Have not read much since the 6'th grade
C. Does not read anything without lots of pictures
D. All of the above

Seriously, learn how to study, read, outline chapters and take notes!

R/r 911

OP
OP
wchawkins

wchawkins

Forum Probie
Well, from what you guys have said, it seems I am all set, and should have no problems. Thanks a lot for the input!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Brush up on reading skills, many EMT students either:
A. Do not read above the 6'th grade level
B. Have not read much since the 6'th grade
C. Does not read anything without lots of pictures
D. All of the above

Seriously, learn how to study, read, outline chapters and take notes!

R/r 911

Well you must have run up against some EMT's that aren't very smart. This one here (soon to be) is already college educated.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well you must have run up against some EMT's that aren't very smart. This one here (soon to be) is already college educated.

Rhan... that doesn't necessarily help your case :)

working College-town EMS... I've seen lots of STUPID college students.

Rid brings up a good point.... the EMT and even medic texts are written at a lower level than college texts.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
I've read through the whole book already and class is still a month away from starting... Wow I'm a nerd! :D

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Hmmmm .. Let's look at the results of a test based upon a 6'th -10'th grade reading and science level.. Now, you tell me if that all their reading comprehension level was up to par..

R/r 911

OP
OP
wchawkins

wchawkins

Forum Probie
Hahaha... I had to take a placement test called the COMPASS test here, before I could sign up for classes (community college). On the reading and writing portions, I received a 99 and a 94. I don't have to take any english courses at all. Does that tell you anything? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Our instructor said we had to have a copy of the ASSET test or whatever (same thing as the COMPASS). Even though one of the guys in my class had a Bachelor's degree, the instructor said "I don't care if you're a Doctor, I still need you to take that test".... Well, it turned out he never even collected the results.... go figure

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hahaha... I had to take a placement test called the COMPASS test here, before I could sign up for classes (community college). On the reading and writing portions, I received a 99 and a 94. I don't have to take any english courses at all. Does that tell you anything? :)

Tells me to get another counselor. For a degree, one will still have to have transferable English courses, placement tests just advise the degree of perceived difficulty. If one should need remedial or advanced placement.

R/r 911

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I hope that sooner or later a degree will be required to work in EMS. So that those of us who took the long route can be accomdated with better pay.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I took the placement test for the college after 4+ years of no math classes... I tanked anything beyond basic algebra (1+2x=5) - like fractional math.

I was kinda surprised that I passed...I figured I'd need to go back and re-test.

OP
OP
wchawkins

wchawkins

Forum Probie
Tells me to get another counselor. For a degree, one will still have to have transferable English courses, placement tests just advise the degree of perceived difficulty. If one should need remedial or advanced placement.

R/r 911

I actually spoke with her today. I originally spoke with one advisor, and spoke with another one today, b/c the first wasn't in, on vacation. Well, I do have to take some english, which is understandable. It seems the first advisor was new to advising this program or something... whatever. As long as I get all the classes I need to make it thru my semesters and get to Paramedic, I am fine.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I actually spoke with her today. I originally spoke with one advisor, and spoke with another one today, b/c the first wasn't in, on vacation. Well, I do have to take some english, which is understandable. It seems the first advisor was new to advising this program or something... whatever. As long as I get all the classes I need to make it thru my semesters and get to Paramedic, I am fine.
Well you can plan on atleast 1 english class, a psych class, and 2-3 A&P semesters depending on how smart you are to start with. ( Some times they make you take a pre-bio 201 class to prepare you for A&P). they may make you take a PC class and mine made me take Microbiology.

EMT192229

Forum Probie
When you start your class you should form a little group and get together on the weekends and study the questions in your work book. You should also find an EMT that you are friends with and have the run some drills with you. Because you not only need to pass a written exam but a practical exam. I'm sure if you ask one of your instructors to stop in and help with your sessions,They would gladly assist you.