EMT Basic Question IV Transport

drl

Forum Lieutenant
As everyone said, it all depends on location and state/county protocols. In CA, EMT-B's are not allowed to start IVs as far as I'm aware. We do, however, transport patients on NS, dextrose, or lactated Ringer's all the time in Santa Clara and Alameda counties. PCA pumps are also okay, but provider-controlled pumps require CCT transport.

OP
OP
D

Derrick

Forum Ride Along
Thank all of you guys for your great information; I live in California btw. Seriously, you guys couldn't have been a better help. :D

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
As everyone said, it all depends on location and state/county protocols. In CA, EMT-B's are not allowed to start IVs as far as I'm aware. We do, however, transport patients on NS, dextrose, or lactated Ringer's all the time in Santa Clara and Alameda counties. PCA pumps are also okay, but provider-controlled pumps require CCT transport.
At one point Santa Clara County Basics weren't prohibited from starting IV lines per se, they could (in theory) be accredited to do it. However only the Paramedics were considered "accredited" to start IV lines. I suspect that this was the beginning of a process to create an expanded scope Basic that was nearly an EMT-II or an Advanced EMT. I've been away from there for a while so I'm not sure what they allow as far as scope of practice or if there are any enhancements to the scope that are authorized.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Our EMTs don't do IOs.
Once again it is going to vary greatly by country, state, county, and service.

Some medical directors will let their EMTs do a lot while others will not

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Once again it is going to vary greatly by country, state, county, and service.

Some medical directors will let their EMTs do a lot while others will not
I think he's just commenting on changes here, Colorado has a "unique" waiver process that allows medical directors to add skills to the allowable acts. IOs for EMTs is starting to become a thing in some areas despite makeup (rural and urban), yet in the metro Denver area it's not happening yet.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Yup. It probably makes more sense for you- we don't have very many medic/basic ambulances and our EMTs never go anywhere (except the detox van) without a medic.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We are P/B only (west of Colorado Springs), but we might be the only certified EMS folk on a lot of calls. I play skill monkey for my partner since she's not getting help from anyone else. I'm not sure how useful it is in the springs when you have three medics on a lot of calls...ugh.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Wow, I think that's actually a cool change! I loved having EMTs able to do IVs in Colorado. Really, an IO is much simpler then an IV and only needed in priority patients anyway, so it seems like a natural progression to allow EMT IO placement to assist a solitary medic. I wouldn't say there's much sense in having IO set ups in BLS kits, but as a medic assist skill it sounds great.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Several our BLS fire districts have voiced a desire to start doing them, however. They are a call in for conscious patients, but we don't have the ability to make base contact in most of our area. I'm hoping the cost dissuades them as we already have an occasional issue with inappropriate IVs and frankly I don't really care if we arrive on a critical patient without access as I can get the IO soon after arrival. It's not like we walk in right now and push medications as soon as we reach the patients.