EMT-Basic Question in CA???

Beach Bum112885

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

First time posting on here, great respect for everything all you do. My situation is this. I am 20 years old and finishing up my Associates. I actually am going in law enforcement, preparing to attend the academy sometime next year (after I can finally get hired, the hiring process are LONG!).

Anyway I basically have one or two classes left to take this fall semester and something that interests me very much caught my eye. I realized how interesting it could be to become a certified EMT and then go through a police academy. The only thing is that I pretty much have NO experience in first aid. I just had my police department (I work there part time before I go to the academy) put me through Red Cross CPR training and am also about to get certified through an AHA class next week. This will allow me to sign up for the Basic EMT academy that lasts 8 weeks this fall at my local JC and hopefully get certified before I go into the police academy next year.

Basically I'm just looking into if what I'm trying to do is feasible since up to this point I do not know a lot about EMS , basically all law enforcement up to this point. I also began to think that I could possibly find work as a part time EMT next year if it ends up taking me a very long time to find an police department to sponsor me through an academy. I thought I should see what you guys thought or if I am going to be in over my head. All advice is greatly appreciated, what do you think of a cop trained as an EMT?

(Sorry this is so long, but I figure the more information you have, the more you guys can help, thanks!)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
First of all...

:) :) :) Welcome!!! :) :) :)

I know lots of officers that are EMT's as well. The company utilizes them just as any other cross certified employee. As you get into the PD you'll notice a lot of deputies/officers are cross certified into EMS or Fire. It's a great idea if you have the time to go through both academies, and it usually gets you a payraise as well.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

Yes, many officers are cross trained. As Jenn mentioned above some receive pay raises, but it could also help land you a job in the first place.

Where in CA?

OP
OP
B

Beach Bum112885

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the input guys. . . I'm in Lompoc, probably never heard of it ;) . It's about 60 miles north of the Santa Barbara area (all on the central coast).

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I was in both Santa Cruz County (northern CA) and Orange County in 2005.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
First - Welcome to EMTLife - we put the Fun in Dysfunction!

As for your idea... I have a friend who is doing the same thing - she starts EMT school in a couple of weeks, and then she will probably be going to the police acadamy in the next year or so...

Having your EMT isn't a bad thing - sometimes, it will help throw a little weight into you getting a job with a department - out in my area, we have some departments that are ONLY hiring EMT's - it provides a better response for their community.

EMT2498

Forum Ride Along
I think it will be helpful.

I actually am doing what you are talking about. I am currently certified as an EMT-B, and I have already began my Criminal Justice classes. The big gig for me with being cross certified is since I don’t speak Spanish (which is highly recommended around here) I can put that I am an EMT on the table. All officers must be 1st responders in Wisconsin, so I just brought it to the next level w/ being an EMT. It also got me on a township's payroll for Rescue, so when its time to do an internship, or get hired I am already known around the Police Department.

Hope that somewhat helps.^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

kari518

Forum Ride Along
If you are concerned about taking the EMT-B class with little medical background, don't worry about it, take the class and you will do fine. Just pay attention and ask a lot of questions. Granted, I am glad I had some background (I was a CNA before I became a basic) but my husband was in your shoes and did just fine also. Good luck!

fender1878

Forum Ride Along
Having your EMT is invaluable regardless of where you work or what you do.

I think it's a great idea. I work in Ventura County (so i do know where Lompoc is).

Also, I know it's a drive, but if you certify in either Santa Barbara or Ventura County then you can become an EMT-D and do more than a basic can.

Just my 2 cents!

OP
OP
B

Beach Bum112885

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the tip. Please elaborate on the EMT-D certification and where in Santa Barbara would that be? Santa Barbara City College? It's only like an extra 20 minutes as compared to driving to Santa Maria so it wouldn't be that bad. Thanks in advance for any information your able to provide. . .