EMT-B administering saline under physician's license

OP
OP
S

Schnit

Forum Ride Along
The problem lies in that as an EMT-B, he does not qualify as a Physician Substitute. The EMT-B is not among the licensed health care professionals by the definition defined by the regulatory agencies.

I'm fairly certain that the FDA still allows EMT-B to be a phys sub since we just had an FDA audit and they didn't have any problem with my employee file.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm fairly certain that the FDA still allows EMT-B to be a phys sub since we just had an FDA audit and they didn't have any problem with my employee file.

Have you actually checked the FDA and CBER websites?

And you also stated this:
#2. My employer now requires that everyone in my position be EMT-P or above (I was grandfathered in).

That would be in compliance for Physician Substitutes to be Paramedic and higher. There are probably a few Plasma Techs that also got grandfathered in as well who hold no certification at all and were OJT. Almost every profession has also gone through this at some time but eventually those who are grandfathered must increase their education for a license or go away.

OP
OP
S

Schnit

Forum Ride Along
Have you actually checked the FDA and CBER websites?

And you also stated this:

That would be in compliance for Physician Substitutes to be Paramedic and higher. There are probably a few Plasma Techs that also got grandfathered in as well who hold no certification at all and were OJT. Almost every profession has also gone through this at some time but eventually those who are grandfathered must increase their education for a license or go away.

FDA's description still (as of this minute) states "emergency medical technician".

VentMedic

Forum Chief
FDA's description still (as of this minute) states "emergency medical technician".

RN, LPN/LVN and Paramedic are the ones listed on the sites I have referenced. Even for a couple of employment opportunities they state "EMT" but go on to say Paramedic license required. Obviously with the 50+ different EMS levels such as EMT-A,B,C,D and P there is some confusion. The U.S. also doesn't use the same terminology for "Paramedic" in all the states. Thus, is there little wonder why the FDA as well as the public wouldn't know all the correct titles except for a broad "EMT"? But, they probably do know why they want when it comes to license, education and scope for the basis of additional training as it pertains to a plasma center.

However, if EMT is not an issue, why hasn't your medical director implimented protocols to include you? Why are you asking how to "legally" do something on an anonymous EMS forum if you can seek out answers from the agencies who directly oversee a plasma center?

grich242

Forum Crew Member
Not even close. A PA is a true physician extender.

Almost every health care professional in every health care field works under a medical director. That includes RNs, RRTs, PTs, OTs and Athletic Trainers.

They could also have required them to become CNAs or PCTs but the EMT may have been the easiest for them to obtain. A good PCT program may take 500+ hours. If they become CNAs they may also have to float throughout the hospital and those that work in the EDs hate that although they should see what happens in other patient care areas.

I meant that like a PA medic's must work under the "direct" supervision of a physician and may not operate independently as an NP may open their own clinic. I was not attempting to imply that we are similar in education training etc to a PA.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I meant that like a PA medic's must work under the "direct" supervision of a physician and may not operate independently as an NP may open their own clinic. I was not attempting to imply that we are similar in education training etc to a PA.

It is still not reasonable to compare a PA, who is a true Physician Extender, with a Paramedic. The PA can diagnose, prescribe and treat as part of definitive care. These abilities set them apart from other health care providers.

Almost all licensed health care professionals work under a Medical Director either in or out of the hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
i just said it was not comparison of capabilities education etc......

I just stated it is more than just the education and the skills. A Physician Extender is granted privileges that "Physician Substitutes" are not in clinical practice and CMS recognition.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think this is a question best addressed by your company's solicitor... this isn't something that can be answered completely yes or no on a web forum. Further, from what I see some folks saying, if questions are asked and you don't meet the minimum requirement, you might find yourself out of a job, or out of hours.

Perhaps the solution is to give you an appropriate title you fall under, and your employer work out a policy as to what a "plasma tech" or similar can and can't do, and what training you'd need to have to do it. They would also probably need to have documentation that you completed that training - either in house or before hire.

Best of luck, mate... but be careful - as I said, asking questions are good... but you might find yourself out of a job because folks finally look closely at the situation.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I"ve worked in my ER as a basic (which I still am since I'm licensed at the level in my state) but I was able to start IVs and use saline flushes. The onyl reason I could was my job title was ER Tech and was under a whole other set of rules.