EMS While PreMed

Anu

Forum Crew Member
In the total 5 volume set of Brady's Paramedic care (the largest in volume of US EMS text, index included cause I am lazy), there are 3003 pages of 10th grade reading level material.

10th grade reading level including terminology and anatomy/physiology?

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In the total 5 volume set of Brady's Paramedic care (the largest in volume of US EMS text, index included cause I am lazy), there are 3003 pages of 10th grade reading level material.

10th grade reading level including terminology and anatomy/physiology?

Sad, isn't it?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It's disgusting. What's even more sad is the fact that so many people have so much trouble passing coursework involving such diluted and "dumbed down" material. Sad and frightening.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Forum Captain
Veneficus,

I have heard some rough med-school speaches in my life, one of which from my own cousin, but your's by far had to be the most intimidating. I am honestly now worried that I'm just in over my head...my high school chemistry and anatomy grades are nothing special (despite my heightened interest in those subjects), and I still have to take physiology and psychology next year. I'm just young and naive and blah blah blah, but my whole interest is working in emergency medicine in general. Whether that be EMS, nursing, or being a physician. The only real reasoning I have for wanting to go to med-school is that it means a lot more money and opportunities.

I know a lot of people who are in med school now, and I know a few who have been out for a while. I can only hope that my school's advanced level can explain my lower grades. Surprisingly, I was at UC med school last week, and the anatomy teacher there told me that 3/4 of the practicing physicians in the Cincinnati area graduated from my high school.

You've got me worried now...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Don't be worried. Med school is tough for everyone, but it is possible. When you get into medical school, you'll have everything from people straight out of college to people with graduate degrees in your class. Ages will range from early 20's to the mid 30's. However everyone will feel like they are being drowned with material. Such is the nature of medical school.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Don't be worried. Med school is tough for everyone, but it is possible. When you get into medical school, you'll have everything from people straight out of college to people with graduate degrees in your class. Ages will range from early 20's to the mid 30's. However everyone will feel like they are being drowned with material. Such is the nature of medical school.

Also, from my understanding, the philosophy in med school is that they want everyone to succeed. That is to say, it's not a "weed out" process, like some law schools.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I best heard it described as "trying to drink from a fire hose."

It is why people do not go to med school part time, or work a full time job with it.

If you are accepted, you have what it takes to succeed. Unlike EMS education which in the US is just a plethora of disjoined facts, each semester prepares you for the next semester. As well, the later ones reinforce earlier ones.

Just concentrate on what you are doing now and always know what the next step is. Med school is probably one of life's biggest challenges, but it is clearly doable, even if it is a little rough.

Figure it like this: If I can do it. You can do it.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Going back to the OP, you can do EMS while pre med, but just make sure that it isn't cutting into your study time or grades. I did ski patrol while in college, it was only about 12 hours a week and didn't really hurt my studies. After school I did EMS with a lot of people who were trying to go to school while working 911 full time, and they were miserable. They didn't have the time to sleep enough or study enough. Everything suffered. Lots of them ended up having to switch to lighter class loads, stretching their college out by years.

I'd say find something either where is it super slow and you can study while on duty, or something busy that you do once a week. But you should be doing it because you enjoy it, not because you are trying to boost your app.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, from my understanding, the philosophy in med school is that they want everyone to succeed. That is to say, it's not a "weed out" process, like some law schools.

I have a friend who has struggled with anatomy and is on her third attempt to pass it. She's missed it by a single point each time...and you thought missing the piddly little test that is the NREMT exam by a narrow margin sucked.

JPINFV

Gadfly

The application process is the weed out process. Yes, US medical schools do their best to get their students to graduation. At my school, for example, there's an entire office devoted to helping students out academically and providing tutoring services. Similarly, when students do fail a course (and many students will fail their first course while in medical school), there's a formal process in place to allow that student to remediate that course. It's hard, but there's multiple reasons why the 4 year attrition rate for medical school is only 5%.