EMS Sniglets

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Ambusneak - To shut down all lights and sirens several blocks from a scene (see also Cloaking Device)

Beltsnarl - Mishandling of an ambulance seat-belt by a frantic relative accompanying a patient. Typically results in a need for assistance with disentanglement.

Blurrections - Unintelligible directions to a call (e.g. "turn left where the old grain silo used to be)

Brady Bunch - Medication (typically 0.5 mg atropine) administered in an attempt to increase patient heart rate.

Breathanol - A gaseous, still potent form of alcohol found wafting from the mouths of certain frequent flyers.

Clean Jerk - What you hope you get when you pick up a body that's been down for a long time.

Cloaking Device - A yet-to-be-invented device that renders an ambulance invisible to people who have nothing better to do than call 911 several times a day.

Code Surfing - Riding the stretcher into the ER while performing CPR.

Diesel Zone - Area to the right rear of an ambulance in high idle at an emergency scene; marked by hot, toxic gases, the atmosphere is impenetrable to bystanders.

Docklings - A whole bunch of baby interns or residents following the attending physician through the hospital.

Ecnalubmauloid - Any person who asks why "ambulance" is spelled backwards on the front of your rig.

EMS Wedgie - The condition of an EMS worker after being "helped" (with a firm grip on the belt accompanied by lifting action, usually performed by FD) while carrying a patient down the stairs.

FACBP - A Fellow of the American College of Bystander Physicians; can be easily identified on scene as shouts orders (typically "hurry up!") at EMS personnel.

Flaffling - Hand motion by drivers stopped at intersections; intended to "help" the respondng ambulance through.

Gleek - Any embarrassing siren noise, produced either unintentionally by the siren operator or intentionally by a "gleeky" partner.

Glovidue - Stubborn white powder marks left on dark uniform pants or the steering wheel after surgical gloves are removed.

Golden Four Minutes - The critical period prior to shift change when calls are most likely to come in.

Lightbar Squirt - A momentary activation of emergency lights as a greeting to passing fire apparatus, police cars, and other ambulances.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Medimutes - Patients whose relatives feel compelled to answer all questions for them.

Mediperks - Imaginary rewards that frequent flyer patients are working up to

Optic Analitis - When your optic nerve is connected to your anus, causing your outlook on life to look like s***.

Samsonitis - Patient requests emergency response, and upon arrival they are standing at the curb with suitcase packed.

Spazner - Any frantic relative at the scene who gets in the way and generally makes things worse.

Spooge - Sticky residue, usually of organic origin. May be found on poorly cleaned backboards, laryngoscopes, other medical equipment, or ambulance armrests.

Talboting - Act of driving as slowly as possible to delay arrival at an unsafe scene.

Telexaggeration - A situation in which dispatch information does not match actual patient condition (e.g. "leg amputation" turns out to be a skinned knee).

Tele-Medic - A reporter's general term used to call every EMS person on scene a "paramedic".

Two Dude Syndrome - Victim beat up; generally reports minding own business when "two dudes beat the s*** out of me for no reason".

Wailmuffs - Secret headgear worn by drivers who don't want to be bothered by the ambulance behind them.

Yelpkins - Children who hear sirens and run out to watch a passing emergency vehicle.

Yelpswerve - A sudden, violent, evasive maneuver performed by a driver who has just realized that an ambulance is behind them.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Ambuslaps - The requisite smacking of the back door/window after the patient is loaded.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Airborne Ranger - Suicide by fall.

Arrythmia - Living an alternative rhythm style.

BA Bingo - Play the lottery on blood alcohol results.

BATS Fracture - Broke All To S***

Bluey on the Green - Full arrest on the golf course.

Concrete Poisoning - What a jumper dies from.

Cranial Rectal Inversion - Head up butt.

Doing the Elvis - Vagal out on the toilet.

Gravitational Disassociation - What intoxicated people experience when they fall

Hamburger Helper - Pedestrian vs. AMTRAK

Instant Ambulance - Hip pack carried by the overzealous medic

Insurance Pain - "Neck pain" secondary to minor MVA

Opsculate - To visually measure a patient's vital signs without actually taking them.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Patient Vu - The strange feeling that you've transported a particular patient before.

Polyadipose Dysfunction - Big fat person.

Projectile Vomit - ALWAYS has the right of way!

PVC Challenge - Intubation

"Q" Sign - Also known as "Doing the 'Q'". Someone who is unconscious with their mouth open and tongue hanging out.

Randy Rescue - New guy with more stuff on his belt than Batman.

Stare of Life - Look on a rookie's face during their first code.

Status Asparagus - Brain dead patient

Urban Outdoorsman - Homeless person

Vital Signs WNL - We Never Looked

Winshield Taste Test - MVA victim who hits the windshield unrestrained.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Acute Lead Poisoning - gunshot wound

Code Brown - bring a hose

Treat with high flow diesel - and hope the hospital's not far

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Cop-O-Meter: The area of a hazardous material incident defined as the furthest distance from the point of origin that an emergency responder is found laying on the ground.

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
[Treat with high flow diesel - and hope the hospital's not far

also known in the old apothocary lingo as "Tincture of Transport"

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jul 9 2004, 02:14 AM
Cop-O-Meter: The area of a hazardous material incident defined as the furthest distance from the point of origin that an emergency responder is found laying on the ground.
A less involved version of...

How responders identify a HAZMAT chemical using the Tri-COP-Scope Method:

1. Officer standing/Car running: Not hazardous

2. Officer unconscious/Car running: Toxic fumes.

3. Officer unconscious/Car stalled: Oxygen displacing chemical

4. Officer/Car both melting: Acidic chemical.

5. Officer/Car on fire: Extremely flammable.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Hmmmm, my favorite has always been

Preincarceritis: Most acute when patient realizes the cops aren't joking and are really going to take them to jail, followed by "MY CHEST HURTS!/I'm having a heart attack!" Or more bewildering to our brothers in blue, "I can't breathe."

"Just can't do anything right" syndrome: Used to describe patients who are on their 10+ unsuccessful suicide attempt.

DORF: Thoracic instability secondary to meeting the steering wheel while in dramatic deceleration, actually this injury is theoretical since all our patients claim to be restrained, named for the "old" days when steering wheels had raised letters, it is FORD backwards.

CPR we done yet: Usually seen in the face of the rookie who's on their 5th minute of CPR on the obviously dead while family members look on expecting us to do our best Lazarus on him.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I am just curious if anybody has been to the lunatick's web site? there a lot of good lines, call descriptions and other things there.

Very worth while

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Sep 30 2004, 12:40 AM
I am just curious if anybody has been to the lunatick's web site? there a lot of good lines, call descriptions and other things there.

Very worth while
Where do you think I got most of these?

Very good site, but it doesn't appear to be updated very often.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I only have one. Heard my Lt describe a patient as DRT... dead right there.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
WUD-woke up dead

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Dec 23 2004, 10:35 AM
I only have one. Heard my Lt describe a patient as DRT... dead right there.
Had a partial eviseration and decap from MVA - Pt. was DRTTT - dead right there, there, and there.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Luno@Dec 23 2004, 06:21 PM
WUD-woke up dead
Also of course,

FDGB: Fall down, go boom
LOLFDGB: Little old Lady, FDGB - BEEN DISPATCHED TO THAT, as THAT
LOLFDGBGBGB: little old lady fell down steps
CTD: Circling the drain

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jun 25 2004, 10:07 AM
Medimutes - Patients whose relatives feel compelled to answer all questions for them.

Mediperks - Imaginary rewards that frequent flyer patients are working up to

Optic Analitis - When your optic nerve is connected to your anus, causing your outlook on life to look like s***.

Samsonitis - Patient requests emergency response, and upon arrival they are standing at the curb with suitcase packed.

Spazner - Any frantic relative at the scene who gets in the way and generally makes things worse.

Spooge - Sticky residue, usually of organic origin. May be found on poorly cleaned backboards, laryngoscopes, other medical equipment, or ambulance armrests.

Talboting - Act of driving as slowly as possible to delay arrival at an unsafe scene.

Telexaggeration - A situation in which dispatch information does not match actual patient condition (e.g. "leg amputation" turns out to be a skinned knee).

Tele-Medic - A reporter's general term used to call every EMS person on scene a "paramedic".

Two Dude Syndrome - Victim beat up; generally reports minding own business when "two dudes beat the s*** out of me for no reason".

Wailmuffs - Secret headgear worn by drivers who don't want to be bothered by the ambulance behind them.

Yelpkins - Children who hear sirens and run out to watch a passing emergency vehicle.

Yelpswerve - A sudden, violent, evasive maneuver performed by a driver who has just realized that an ambulance is behind them.
Bible Study Syndrome: a variant of 2-dude syndrome often seen in large city trauma centers. "I was on my way home from bible study and this dude shot me in the <insert body part here> for no reason"

This only seems to occur when the victim is at the "2am" bible study, 5 miles or more from their home.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Allright, it's time for PArescueEMT or MedicStudentJon to officially define what a whacker is :p