EMS Pens

Sasha

Forum Chief
For those of us who write our reports, what pens do you use?

I have two pens at all times, plus a couple company pens stashed in my clipboards (nurses go wild for them, they are great bargaining chips.)

One is my "patient pen" one I give to patients to sign and don't necessarily need back if the patient is gross or coughs on their hand or somesuch (In the case of gross patient I slip out of the room and wipe down my clipboard with a saniwipe.) This pen is any old cheap throw away pen that I acquire.

This is also a pen I will give nurses to sign with if I see they don't sanitize/wash their hands when exiting a patient room or still have dirty gloves on. (Seriously. Gross.) I'm not a glove nazi but I sanitize and wash my hands constantly because of it.

But for MY chart writing I only use g2 fine point gel pens. They write incredibly smooth and they're very dark, easy to read, etc.

I'm still incredibly envious over those who use epcr. Maybe one day.... maybe one day.

Yeah, maybe I'm a tad OCD :)

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
We're mostly digital now, but I'm with you on the G2 -- except I go extra fine only (05). Thinner lines make my awful handwriting more legible and let me fit more nonsense on my little cards.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
We're mostly digital now, but I'm with you on the G2 -- except I go extra fine only (05). Thinner lines make my awful handwriting more legible and let me fit more nonsense on my little cards.

I have nice handwriting, so I don't have to worry about that.

Coincidentally my handwriting is better while we are driving down the road then when we're sitting still.

"I can't write like this! I need motion!"

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Zebra F-301, fine point (bad handwriting + fine point = somewhat legible handwriting), black (usually black, but occasionally blue). I love 'em!

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Pilot Easy Touch medium in black. I bought a huge supply of them from Sams Club. I don't mind throwing em away If they're gross or using them as bargaining chips.

I'm generally fine with any pen as long as its a clicker top.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
My favorite are Zebra gels, but my usual is a Bic Atlantis, $5.95 for a 15 pack at Sam's, as often as I lose or wash pens it's a no brainer.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I love a good writing pen. Right now I'm using a nice Cross pen.

I carry cheap company pens as throwaways or to hand out.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I keep a stash of company logo pens by bic.

While they are extremely cheap quality, they are the best pen I have ever used.

The ink never smears on the page or my hand.

Something extremely important to us left handed people.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I love company logo pens. The fatter the better. I have a few hypnobirthing ones right now that are amazing.

And they make me snicker when I see them. I am all for a positive birth experience, but I thing hypnotizing yourself through labor is a stretch.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Meperidine.

Ask for it by name.

Peripheral IV admin, narcotic analgesic, doesn't affect uterine contraction.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"A stretch"? Pun intended?

I like the G-2 .07 clicker, but it is prone to being blurred by rain, sweat, decaf ice tea. I have a box of Walmart cheapie black stick pens for students who need them, and they need alcohol to blur. My CERT kit has two of the flat woodworking pencils; you can sharpen them with your knife, waterproof, cheap, readily recognized and ugly so they don't attract thieves.
Mostly useless pen: Bic Four Color.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Mostly useless pen: Bic Four Color.

Amen.

Goes to my theory the more working parts something has, the more that goes wrong more often.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

The truth, my friend, you speak it.

The pens my company distributes for PR are literally the only thing they don't cheap out on. I grab a fistful whenever there's a box at the station, I'll have to look into who makes them

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The ink never smears on the page or my hand.

This is sooooo true. So true.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I try to carry two black G2 fine point pens in my vest or jacket pocket, then I keep two company pens for people to sign with in my side pocket. Plus I like to keep a clicky top Sharpie in my side pocket.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Is it generally agreed that working pens need to be operable with one hand, and not by pulling a cap off with the teeth?
I always wondered what I looked like recapping the pen with my lips....eyes crossed, lips pooched out...

stock-photo-19440796-pouting-senior-white-haired-male-cross-eyed-eating-chicken-bone.jpg

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
G2's ultra fine when I have a choice here :p

But sasha... Don't say you want E-PCR you will regret it! I used to be able to complete a whole paper chart minus narrative in ~3-5 mins. Now it takes upwards of ten. Only thing I like about the E-PCR is typing the narrative.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
I try to carry two black G2 fine point pens in my vest or jacket pocket, then I keep two company pens for people to sign with in my side pocket. Plus I like to keep a clicky top Sharpie in my side pocket.

No sharpie but I also carry a highlighter to highlight what a nurse needs to fill out on a Med nec and where the patient needs to sign.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I use random pens. The only things I look for is black ink and the pen must be able to write info on the back of my gloved hand.