EMS Jobs in CA

Destiny

Forum Probie
Any of you can list private companies or departments that are ALS only in CA? And not AMR.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Northern CA, central CA, or SoCal? What counties are you looking at? Private only companies or fire agencies that have AO programs?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
OP
OP
Destiny

Destiny

Forum Probie

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Too be honest more so towards Bay Area and Centeral CA

I would look more towards central CA. Look at counties like Tuolumne, Mariposa, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Tulare, Kern, and San Louis. You can find some great companies in those counties if you want to make a career as a non-fire EMT or paramedic. If your end-goal is the fire service I would still look at these counties. Good protocols, good calls, and you can make a decent living. AMR is always an option as every op is different, some are great and others are not so great. The bay area I believe is mostly AMR and fire based. However, being a southern CA guy I could be talking out of my ***.

OP
OP
Destiny

Destiny

Forum Probie
I would look more towards central CA. Look at counties like Tuolumne, Mariposa, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Tulare, Kern, and San Louis. You can find some great companies in those counties if you want to make a career as a non-fire EMT or paramedic. If your end-goal is the fire service I would still look at these counties. Good protocols, good calls, and you can make a decent living. AMR is always an option as every op is different, some are great and others are not so great. The bay area I believe is mostly AMR and fire based. However, being a southern CA guy I could be talking out of my ***.
Thank you CAL, yeah I was looking more into Central CA for EMT work but I guess my next question is how long do you thing the big Medic demand is going to be? Because I would like to keep it local and do paramedic at Paramedics Plus but no where besides AMR, which I haven't had so much luck with, is hiring EMTs! And if I play my cards right medic school will be starting in September for me. Any advice ?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Any advice ?
He gave you his advice.
I would look more towards central CA.
Many of these areas offer both rural, and urban type environments with a vast array of BLS fire departments, and not a-medic-on-every-engine-in-name-only.

Move out of your bubble, and explore other areas in the state. You might find the right one that will pay you to go through paramedic school while being an EMT.

OP
OP
Destiny

Destiny

Forum Probie
He gave you his advice.

Many of these areas offer both rural, and urban type environments with a vast array of BLS fire departments, and not a-medic-on-every-engine-in-name-only.

Move out of your bubble, and explore other areas in the state. You might find the right one that will pay you to go through paramedic school while being an EMT.
Very true! Thank you!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
how long do you thing the big Medic demand is going to be?

That is the question of questions. Honestly I can see it going a bit. There seems to be a massive paramedic demand everywhere throughout the state regardless if private ems vs fire department. Get your p card while you can. Other than that my pal VentMonkey pretty much summed it up. Go out of your comfort zone.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
It's actually a nationwide "shortage", and it's not getting better. Cypress Creek EMS here in Texas is actively looking for basics/intermediates and Paramedics. So is pretty much everyone else.

Medic Ambulance Service in Vallejo. They're the exclusive 911 provider for all of Solano County minus Vacaville.

http://www.medicambulance.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Medic Ambulance Service in Vallejo. They're the exclusive 911 provider for all of Solano County minus Vacaville.

http://www.medicambulance.net
I knew I'd forget some service(s). Now it's up to the OP to decide whether, or not, they actually want to step out of their comfort zone.

I still vote for a move into the Central Valley. It's a really great place to learn prehospital medicine for a number of reasons beyond what I have already mentioned.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I a question on Facebook or one of the many EMS related sites: "is there really a paramedic shortage or is there just a shortage of paramedics who are willing to work for horrible pay/benefits/retirement/working conditions?"

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I a question on Facebook or one of the many EMS related sites: "is there really a paramedic shortage or is there just a shortage of paramedics who are willing to work for horrible pay/benefits/retirement/working conditions?"
Or perhaps as the years have past we have gone away from learning how to define the differences between "a hard days/ nights work", and "horrible working conditions". I'm not doubting the shady, fly-by-night, break (not bend) the rules to get the job done places that exist, but some services truly are just in need of talent.

I'm willing to bet many of the same people constantly complaining about their services conditions, what they would do differently, or their retirement haven't been on the opposite side of that table, don't/ didn't learn the concept of saving up for a living regardless of their retirement plan offered, or just like to complain to complain.

I've been saving for retirement since I was 30, and monitor my funds fairly regularly. This is my choice. I also work in a small, tight, true-definition-of-confined space helicopter that is hard on my body, and can be just as stressful for many of the same reasons others constantly cite as "deplorable conditions" as any other job. This, is also my choice.

Long story short: I miss the days of earning your keep, knowing what you signed up for, and working your way up to whatever, or wherever you want to be.

If you (generally) want change, change it yourselves, but the the whole thing about EMS folks unwilling to "work for peanuts" can be said for any job, position, title, or rank.

When are we going to just be happy to make an honest buck?

OP
OP
Destiny

Destiny

Forum Probie
Or perhaps as the years have past we have gone away from learning how to define the differences between "a hard days/ nights work", and "horrible working conditions". I'm not doubting the shady, fly-by-night, break (not bend) the rules to get the job done places that exist, but some services truly are just in need of talent.

I'm willing to bet many of the same people constantly complaining about their services conditions, what they would do differently, or their retirement haven't been on the opposite side of that table, don't/ didn't learn the concept of saving up for a living regardless of their retirement plan offered, or just like to complain to complain.

I've been saving for retirement since I was 30, and monitor my funds fairly regularly. This is my choice. I also work in a small, tight, true-definition-of-confined space helicopter that is hard on my body, and can be just as stressful for many of the same reasons others constantly cite as "deplorable conditions" as any other job. This, is also my choice.

Long story short: I miss the days of earning your keep, knowing what you signed up for, and working your way up to whatever, or wherever you want to be.

If you (generally) want change, change it yourselves, but the the whole thing about EMS folks unwilling to "work for peanuts" can be said for any job, position, title, or rank.

When are we going to just be happy to make an honest buck?
I love this

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I don't disagree at all. It's just hard to believe that there is a shortage when you look at how many medic schools are pumping out students. At my college we graduate about 40-50 students each year. Just in my immediate area there are 5 paramedic schools/programs and that's really only for 2 counties in SoCal.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Every couple years our local AMR will run a news segment talking about a nationwide shortage of paramedics. They are the only service that has a shortage. Nobody else is struggling to fill openings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There are three local paramedic education programs in my area, and every service is having difficulty filling open positions. In fact, one agency downed 8 medic units last weekend because they didn't have enough paramedics available to staff them.

I don't know if there's a real shortage, or a real shortage of qualified applicants. Just because someone passed the NR doesn't mean that they're a good fit and should be hired as a paramedic.

OP
OP
Destiny

Destiny

Forum Probie
There are three local paramedic education programs in my area, and every service is having difficulty filling open positions. In fact, one agency downed 8 medic units last weekend because they didn't have enough paramedics available to staff them.

I don't know if there's a real shortage, or a real shortage of qualified applicants. Just because someone passed the NR doesn't mean that they're a good fit and should be hired as a paramedic.
I just personally think it's a monetary issue. No offense to anyone who goes beyond medic but most people only see it as a stepping stone career into fire, PA, Nursing, MD.. etc. I used to tell people, "well my end goal is to be a Nurse/Paramedic." Their typical response? "Oh! Well just go nurse! You get paid way more!" But, I actually always was inspired to do BOTH, at the same time. I think the scope of a medic is much more wider and I believe Paramedics and EMTs are the most critical part of emergency care when we begin speaking about sustainable life support until defintive care is reached. Of course, like I said, so many people view it as stepping stone because they don't see the pay incentive to stay in such an important job.