EMS is a stepping stone

VentMedic

Forum Chief
i feel it is an issue with the system and in the grand scheme of things EMS is still relatively young vs. Fire and Police. I hope that it improves and I hope I can help it improve with my actions as a potential educator myself later in life.

Why compare EMS to Fire and Police? Why not look at professionals in medicine? "Modern" EMS is 40 y/o which makes it approaching middle age when compared to other medical professions that have been around half as long but are much more organized and advanced in education as well as reimbursement issues.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
It is a stepping stone for a lot of people as there is a low barrier to entry. I know that I got my basic card because i only had 180 hours of training before I could get hands on experience, but I am not going for the medic card (as much as I would love to) since I am a full time Biomed. Engineering Student and don't have that kind of time. I think the experience I get from being an EMT will help me in my career as an MD in the future, but I am interested in medicine enough that I want to cotinue on to get other degrees and go further such as my B.S. / B.S.E. in Biomedical Engineering and an MD (possibly to do clinical science later on).

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Why compare EMS to Fire and Police? Why not look at professionals in medicine? "Modern" EMS is 40 y/o which makes it approaching middle age when compared to other medical professions that have been around half as long but are much more organized and advanced in education as well as reimbursement issues.

I see the point to this but I was comparing it to more a public view rather than what the view should be. When someone says EMT they immediately think "Ambulance Driver" and then compare them to the likes of Fire and PD because that's who responds on scene also (At least some of the time)

As far as EMS compared to other new forms of medical professionals, I feel they have far outpaced EMS more because again, they look at a Dr. ran practice and their categories as professional medical providers. Especially with things that are elective. Insurance companies as well are more ready to provide coverage for other medical fields and procedures than something that involves EMS. I had a hell of a time getting my insurance company to cover my ambulance ride when I wrecked my car down an embankment, however I had no troubles getting them to cover a trip to the pulmonologist.

I was going to reply this in another thread but I saw this reply first and will just add it here. As long as EMS continues to be associated with FD and to some extent (although lesser in most areas) the PD, it will never be seen as a medical professional field. Even today when I tell people I'm in paramedic class when they ask what I'm studying, they respond with "Oh so your gonna be an ambulance driver? Why not just go into nursing."

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL.. ah.. the linear life! To me, everything in my life is a stepping stone to the next chapter. It doesn't negate the value of anything I do to have it lead me to something else. I guess there are some who plan out their life with a prescribed program leading to a predetermined end.. but that has never been me and never will be me.

To say that the only people that should enter EMS are those that will make it a life long career shows a marked ignorance of modern life. People change careers and change residences frequently in today's society. I know an RN who runs a landscaping company, I have a friend with a PhD in chemistry working as a computer consultant, another friend is a former ER doc who works selling medical equipment. People change.. well.. at least some of us do!

wbroemts

Forum Probie
I know as for myself I got into the medical field after working in corrections for almost 8 years. I love and plan to make a life of ems. I always have my nose in a book or magazine learning new things. Many of my co workers call me a geek for it but its not going to stop me from doing the best work i can do.