EMS investigators

vc85

Forum Crew Member
I don't know how common, if at all, this happens, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of EMS personnel assigned to investigative agencies or task forces like a Child Fatality Review Team or a MAIT. (Multi disciplinary accident investigation team)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I think so...? But I am not entirely sure exactly what you are asking or if I am interpreting the question properly. Maybe this is done in house as part of QA or as part of a multi department AAR type scenario?

Maybe it is too early and I am being dense...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Nope. I can't really think of anything that EMS would need to investigate that doesn't already have an agency that investigates it. Fires are left to the fire marshal. Car accidents are left to the police department. Child abuse/elder abuse are a mix of LEO/DA/CPS/APS. Haz-Mat incidents are left for fire department/county health.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm also reading this question in two ways:
For the purpose of QA, Safety and Complaints/Misconduct we have a Supervisor in Charge of Investigations. He looks in to internal issues and makes recommendations on proceeding with discipline, whether a problem was a system or equipment issues which needs to be addressed, unfounded, etc.

In Coroner's Inquests in Ontario Paramedics may be called as witnesses but can also present as experts or have standing in the inquest as interested parties. This isn't really be any investigator though.

Any involvement in law enforcement I'm aware of is the medical support we provide the tactical team, nothing investigative. Can't see I see the need, though I do know a medic who has been lobbying official channels to have Paramedic recognized in the Coroner's Legislation as appropriate education for hiring (with investigative training provided) for a Coroner's Investigator (or similar title). I know very little about that proposal and how far it has progressed; I haven't been in touch with the medic spearheading this one in some time.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Some places here in Ca you can use your Medic experience to get a Coroners Investigator gig. Some counties will allow Basic experience, but they're few and far between.

Outside of doing death investigations, I don't see any real reason for EMS to be doing, or be part of, any investigative team.

Ca does have state agencies (Department of Insurance and Department of Consumer Affairs) that investigate insurance fraud, prescription drug abuse, illegal practice of medicine, and patient abuse among other things, but they're part of their own law enforcement agency.

My dream is to be approached by one of these agencies, or the FBI, to go undercover as a secret agent EMT to document/uncover fraud and abuse. It would be my own version of the movie Departed except with crooked LA ambulance companies.