EMS Captain

karkls2010

Forum Ride Along
I have recently become the new EMS Captain for our Squad. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do? I am fresh meat and want to do a good job. :rolleyes:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
not to sound rude or stupid, but, umm, if you are now in charge of the organization, shouldn't you know what to do?

in my experience, people become captains/chiefs in volunteer organizations for one of three reasons: they think they can do the job better than the current leader, they see problems in the organization and want to fix them, or they are the most qualified to lead the organization.

Or, they want to drive around in the captain/chiefs car, because it makes them feel cool.

Why don't you share with us exactly what the EMS captain does in your organization, and what you think could be done better.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I have recently become the new EMS Captain for our Squad. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do? I am fresh meat and want to do a good job. :rolleyes:

Yeah, cook once in a while ;). My husband is Macedonian and the crews love his greek cooking :)

As an officer, he's fair yet expects a 100% from his FF. He's a listener and open to opinions but will lay down the law when needed. Oh, and none of these are exactly his qualities here at home :lol: That shift from being just one of the guys is difficult at first but I'm sure you'll do fine. You're a leader not a shrew so lead the way you would like to be lead. Congrats.

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant

Short answer? Your job is to not only not kill anyone, but make sure that EVERYONE ELSE doesn't kill anyone either. Good luck.

Real answer... If you want to do a damned good job, prepare for a lot of reading, typing, asking questions, and hundreds of hours for very little thanks in the end.

First start at your SOP/SOGs/Policies and Procedures. Do you have any? If not, your job just got a lot more difficult.

Next, start reading. Your state DOH, OSHA, NFPA, DOT, ANSI... Make sure your protocols, your people, your equipment, your rules, everything matches up to them.

Then, become friends with your Medical Director and the head officers of other agencies in your area you may interact with. You can get a lot more done being friends with these people than strangers.

Finally, just keep on top of things. Keep your equipment clean and stocked. Make sure your people are well-trained and prepared for anything. Talk to them.. Find out their strengths and weakness. And talk to them after calls.. Maybe they have good ideas. Or maybe a call bothered them. Your job as a leader doesn't mean you're the boss, it just means you coordinate things. How fairly you treat your people will make or break your time in office.

OP
OP
K

karkls2010

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Thanks so much for the advice. I am learning the ropes. My situation is a little weird because I was not offered any training on what to do just heres the job and roll with it. Everyone in command at the time left and now we are all on our own to learn how to run the operation.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks so much for the advice. I am learning the ropes. My situation is a little weird because I was not offered any training on what to do just heres the job and roll with it. Everyone in command at the time left and now we are all on our own to learn how to run the operation.

Remember the above statement as you are now one of the examples for future leaders. How you lead will help determine the leaders of tomorrow. ;)

8jimi8

CFRN

Maybe you should chat with the old captain and ask him for suggestions on how to carry forward.

OP
OP
K

karkls2010

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Yeah
Thats the problem they are no longer there and have moved out of the county. Maybe I need to make myself a little clearer. Our VOLUNTEER organization was in a major negative crisis and when it all went down our major contributors pulled up and abandoned ship!! :mellow: Suprise suprise right! So now we have a new Chief and I was assigned Captain mainly since I had been there the longest (2 years). I know some of you laugh and say yeah we wanted the official names but actually neither of us put into office really wanted the responsibility at the time. I personally just asoon run my calls and help save lifes but for the benefit of the organization we needed someone to lead and help us get out of this mess so that is what I am trying to accomplish. I wish people would stop being rash and just offer some advice as to where to start and stop criticizing unless it is going to benefit!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our SOG's/SOP's were written about 10 years ago should I look into re-writing them?
I hate to state the obvious, but I think that you need to take some time to think of what exactly a captain does. Now isn't the time to re-write the SOPs unless there is something that is way off.

These links may be helpful:
EMS CAPTAIN – JOB DESCRIPTION
EMS Fire Captain Job Description
EMS Captain - Detailed Job Description
Job description for squad’s Captain of Emergency Medical Services.

Good luck!

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant

what did you do?? miss the last meeting and got voted in?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
1. Look into the Roman tactic of decimation, in the sense of the origin of the term. Such "culling the herd" has it's place in departments that are in need of growth.
2. Treat your people well, but do not tolerate sub-standard performance from yourself or anyone under you.
3. Just because you wear the captain's insignia, pay attention to those who work for you that have been doing this for longer than you have. You will learn a lot.

what did you do?? miss the last meeting and got voted in?

I was elected EMS captain for our department at 18 because I was the only person on the department who anyone thought would want the responsibility.

Now isn't the time to re-write the SOPs unless there is something that is way off

Learn your position, get a feel for the department, correct/eliminate any personnel issues (read as: rehabilitate or fire troublemakers) and get to know your medical director. Then and only then should you look into reworking the protocols, since you will need your medical director's support and approval to do so.

Our VOLUNTEER organization was in a major negative crisis and when it all went down our major contributors pulled up and abandoned ship!!

Be prepared to inform people that, yes, you can as a matter of fact be fired from a volunteer position. Organizations like the one you describe are prime candidates for being filled with the sorts of people who need to be removed from EMS as a whole because they drag us down, hold us back and hurt patients.

If you need any help, feel free to PM me. I have worked in the setting you described on several occasions.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Be A Revolutionary!

You're working with a blank slate, taking (i hope) what you're learning from here, using the references and also, it sounds like, wanting to be a little creative. Here's an idea:

Make safe space for people in your group to speak honestly about the freakier stuff they get thrown into while doing the work. Encourage them to be able to speak of such things without ridicule, minimizing the potential of emotional impact, encouraging denial or any of the protective mechanisms so common in the field.

Search this site for "burnout" and you'll see the things that break hearts, families and seriously undermine good patient care and add up to drive many of our best out of the field.

So few (if there are any, I'd like to hear about them!) squads, systems or services incorporate an atmosphere that promotes medics helping each other face some of the emotional, moral and spiritual assaults they experience. No one understands the traumas better than your peers.

I'll tell you why I suggest this. I've been on this site for 5 years and I'd estimate that maybe 20% of the medics here bring stuff like this to the table and there are always a few willing and able to provide their own experiences in a supportive way. The dominant culture is still Johnny and Roy, but I betcha a buck, starting to work with that 20% would make it easier for the hardasses to soften and maybe avoid burnout.

Outworld

Forum Probie
Yeah
Thats the problem they are no longer there and have moved out of the county. Maybe I need to make myself a little clearer. Our VOLUNTEER organization was in a major negative crisis and when it all went down our major contributors pulled up and abandoned ship!! :mellow: Suprise suprise right! So now we have a new Chief and I was assigned Captain mainly since I had been there the longest (2 years). I know some of you laugh and say yeah we wanted the official names but actually neither of us put into office really wanted the responsibility at the time. I personally just asoon run my calls and help save lifes but for the benefit of the organization we needed someone to lead and help us get out of this mess so that is what I am trying to accomplish. I wish people would stop being rash and just offer some advice as to where to start and stop criticizing unless it is going to benefit!

You have my sympathy...sounds like a rough row to hoe...
What is the makeup of your Squad? is it all ambulance or Fire as well? Any Rescue component? How much call volume? What is the average length of service of your team? ALS or BLS?

Start slow. Be curious.

1) Take a look at your SOPS. You will need to change anything that is our of date, so look at all the protocols and standards and do a google check against current standards.
2) Read a few books about Leadership. But read the books that are not 'leadership' books, but rather non-fiction. "Throne Room of the Mountain Gods" and "the Thirty-Mile Fire" are just 2 that will tell you more about leadership than 20 self help books.
3) Identify the goals that you want to achieve, put them on poster board and hang em on the wall where everyone can see..keeps ya honest
4) Indentify the goals that your team wants to achieve, and do the same...
5) Remember that volunteer organizations are always difficult to run, and that you will have to set the example. That means lots of hours alone at night in the squad bay fixing, filing, cleaning, sorting, pondering until one of your team takes pity and asks how they can help....

Answer the questions I asked above and I will try and be more specific...