EMS Blog

savelives

Forum Probie
Hey guys I'm taking a class in English and the teach has us setting up blogs to write about a topic of our choice. I've been an EMT for almost a year now and I thought it would be exciting and interesting to write about what its like to be a new guy in EMS and throw in some tips and things to be mindful of as well as some stories; to make it all interesting and to experiment with creating different emotions through my writing.

Anyone have any suggestions on keeping this professional, entertaining, and perhaps most importantly, tasteful?

Thanks!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Only you can keep it professional, entertaining, and tasteful. The only real tip is to choose your words and topics wisely.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
1. Pre-write your blogs in a word processing program, save them, then post them. Have a few "in the can" for dry spells. MARK THEM ONCE THEY ARE USED!(reruns are so embarrassing!). Decide in advance how revealing you want to be, and read those self-rules over each day before blogging.
2. Use a forum where you can control what will appear and can block problem children.
3. Blog daily or every other day.
4. Read and respond to other people's blogs or posts (as here) to attract more eyes. It will make it more fun too.
5. PM the forum-meisters here for direct advice. A blog is a mini website, the more so if you know HTML.
6. Oh, and do not fall into posting lots of other people's stuff or URL's. WRITE.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Hey guys I'm taking a class in English and the teach has us setting up blogs to write about a topic of our choice. I've been an EMT for almost a year now and I thought it would be exciting and interesting to write about what its like to be a new guy in EMS and throw in some tips and things to be mindful of as well as some stories; to make it all interesting and to experiment with creating different emotions through my writing.

Anyone have any suggestions on keeping this professional, entertaining, and perhaps most importantly, tasteful?

Thanks!

I think it would be interesting to present two sides of your experiences in EMS. One being the professional aspect and the other maybe your internal monologue, thoughts, feelings ect as being new. It goes without saying, but I will because I like to hear the sound of my own keyboard as I type, remember HIPPA.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh, and rehost any documents that you link to.
[grumbles about one of his dead links].

OP
OP
S

savelives

Forum Probie
This is all really good advice. I'll probably post a link to the blog in the next few days so you guys can give advice if you want or just read and enjoy. At the beginning I plan on saying that all names, date's, and personal information have been changed b/c of HIPAA and for general respect of people's privacy.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
First off an excellent resource to get ideas would be www.emsblogs.com

There are all sorts of personalities and positions expressed there so it gives you a sense of the possibilities.

In particular if you predicate your posting on purposeful and progressive points of view that promote progress in the profession, your popularity will likely prosper.

Play without plagiarizing, be personally present, don't expect praise, and to make a pertinent point, when you run out of "p", pull up your pants!

(Please, pardon me.)

Joe

Forum Captain
Im looking coward to reading it!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Decent blog.

I've got a few friends that have been involved in PSU EMS past and present.

I'd suggest looking at some of the "real" EMS blogs - Like The Happy Medic's - http://thehappymedic.com/

Change in topic - you coming to NCEMSF?