ECG Analysis and Patient Management

nakor

Forum Probie
Call to: 76 yr old male lying in bed. Pt feeling heart is jumping out of his chest and describes his heart feels like it is all over the place. No current chest pain but states something isnt right and every now and then he cant catch his breath. Denies nausea and has no other pain.
PMHx: unknown but regular blood tests
Current meds: Aspirin, Warfarin, Digoxin

n6ELC

https://imgur.com/a/n6ELC

Im learning my ECG rhythms and was hoping to get some help with this example, im thinking SVT or Sinus arrhythmia but have no idea what my treatment would be? Done a bit of research am i looking at amiodarone and magnesium sulphate?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
It's neither of those rhythms. Break down the basic rules of determining a rhythm and lay them out for us.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It's neither of those rhythms. Break down the basic rules of determining a rhythm and lay them out for us.
This^^^. Another hint would be it's the single most common arrhythmia we see. Not to mention your first paragraph gave it away even before your rhythm strip was available.

OP
OP
N

nakor

Forum Probie
Ok so P wave is the first short upward movement of the ECG and it indicates that the atria are contracting

The QRS complex is next normally beginning with a downward bit with the first Q is going upwards and a peak which is the R then a downwards S wave. The QRS complex is the ventricles depolarization and contraction.

The PR interval is the transit time for the electrical signal from the sinus node to the ventricles

T wave is normally upwards wave representing ventricular repolarization

In this example we have no P wave before the QRS and theres a T wave after it

OP
OP
N

nakor

Forum Probie
Im looking for a good online source to learn from the book we have been given is really limited.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
In this example we have no P wave before the QRS and theres a T wave after it
Right, so you're way overthinking this one. Treat the patient from the monitor, i.e., rhythm strip presented + scenario and complaint(s).

What does the PMH tell you about the patients complaint and current ECG tracing?

OP
OP
N

nakor

Forum Probie
Right, so you're way overthinking this one. Treat the patient from the monitor, i.e., rhythm strip presented + scenario and complaint(s).

What does the PMH tell you about the patients complaint and current ECG tracing?

From his meds i know he has heart issues and Digoxin is used to control atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter. And from lookin at arial fibrillation examples of ECG tracings they look similar to this one.

OP
OP
N

nakor

Forum Probie
Theres lots of information on long term management... Found some info saying IV heparin and Warfarin to prevent thromboembolism and then transport

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I would suggest focusing on learning to identify the rhythms before you learn managment. You have to know what you're treating to treat it.

OP
OP
N

nakor

Forum Probie
I would suggest focusing on learning to identify the rhythms before you learn managment. You have to know what you're treating to treat it.

I have this OCD systematic approach to everything I normally write up a few pages of epidemiology/ aetiology/ pathophysiology then management of condition and move onto the next haha

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
I have this OCD systematic approach to everything I normally write up a few pages of epidemiology/ aetiology/ pathophysiology then management of condition and move onto the next haha

Okay I'll bite. Why would you put someone with A.Fib on an anticoagulant? For bonus points....why are they on Digoxin to manage their (presumably) atrial fibrillation and/or heart failure?

phideux

Forum Captain
Get Dubins "Rapid interpretation" of EKGs, it's like EKGs for dummies. Great book.

HH1251

Forum Crew Member
Okay I'll bite. Why would you put someone with A.Fib on an anticoagulant? For bonus points....why are they on Digoxin to manage their (presumably) atrial fibrillation and/or heart failure?

They are on an anticoagulant because people with history of AFib are at an increased risk of developing/throwing clots. They are on dig because it's a positive inotropic drug. Therefore is increases the strength of myocardial contractions.