Dumbest uniform you had to wear (in EMS)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have never worked for Acadian Ambulance, and they sound like a fine agency... but there uniforms are the most butt ugly of any EMS agency in the USA I have ever seen.

I always thought the ETMC blue/green pants were pretty ugly.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Thankfully i have been blessed with reasonable uniforms. One agency requires cadets to wear a simple ****ies overall but i was spared that humiliation. They also insisted on button down Elbecos even during the hottest days. They have recent adopted polo shirts for summer wear, thankfully

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member

You beat me to it...I was going to call out ETMC also.

HALO Flight in Corpus Christi has some pretty "interesting" flight suits. http://www.haloflight.org/revised/scene/sc6.jpg

After working outside of the US, I have become somewhat fond of the European style uniforms and vehicle markings.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
My student uniform is pretty basic, dark navy short sleeved military shirt with patches on the shoulders, and dark navy liquid-resistant pants with a reflective strip down both legs.

The uniforms my preferred employer has are actually quite nice, I would have zero problem wearing them. (Photo) Yeah you look like a cop, but I'd rather that than some white paper-thin shirt that you have bleach until its tread bare to get blood/vomit/urine/feces/guts/brain stains out. (Edit: They also have cool patches. Plus it also works as a flag.)

One of the many reasons I don't want to work oilfield is I'm not really cool on sporting coveralls my entire shift. :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I remember a service here in Texas who used to put the certification patch on BOTH shoulders. It drove me crazy...I don't know why.

I can't remember which service it was. I think they are long gone now...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My old event ambulance company. Dark blue polo shirt and whatever kind of dark blue pants you wanted as long as they look "professional".

I'm honestly not a fan of polo shirts at all. I like our uniform except that the uniform shirt is a light blue that makes us look like security guards. Around here fire and police wear uniforms so with us wearing a uniform it makes us fit in on scene.

We have 3 different styles of pants to choose from. Company pays for uniforms so we don't have to. Plus we get around $15 extra per paycheck for a uniform allowance (dry cleaning). Boots have to meet company policy and the company will give you $150 dollars to pay for or help pay for them every 2 years.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
We wear white shirts, either coolmax, short sleeve button down, or long sleeve button down....... your choice. System Patch and State Patch on the shoulders, Lapel Mic, ID Badge....... Duty belt as well.

Our pants are blue, either straight legged or the EMS cargo style. Once again, your choice. I always go for the straight leg, I never put anything in the pockets of the cargo style and do not like the look.

We stand out, FD wears Navy blue pants with light blue shirts and PD wears top to bottom Navy Blue.

The only mess that I have ever got on my shirt was from food, never from a Patient. And if I did dirty a shirt, the $350 uniform allowance I get every year ensures that I have plenty of back up shirts. And if the stain does not come out and I am low on shirts, I can always have a unfirom PO written for me to get a few more to hold me over till the next uniform allowance.

I like our Uniform, It is professional looking and easily recognized.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Had one job where it was khaki shorts and a polo shirt (water park).

Oh, wait, that was an awesome uniform, this is about the dumbest uniforms.

MIT

Forum Probie
Haven't been forced to wear it but the students in a state in Aus have to wear white cargo pants and white paramedics shirts! They're horrible! At least they can be bleached I guess.

We wear Navy as students in my state and they're so like the cop uniforms it's not funny!

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I do like that we wear flight suits. They're very recognizable and look good.

Flight suits were a close 2nd only to scrubs in my hierarchy of uniforms that look good and feel comfortable. I could hide an extra 10 lbs in a flight suit easy.

Our lift and pull out suffered a bit though...

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to hatey hate on Acadian and ETMC, but I have to agree with previous posters. But those uniforms are no Beuno

On another note, sup with certain agencies wearing shorts? I have been on many calls that shorts would have lead to gross things getting on my exposed skin.

CFal

Forum Captain
I work on a ski patrol that has the worst jackets, not water proof at all. They are sponges when it rains.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
my former FTO said in he worked for a company in So-Cal which switched their uniforms to white with red tassels on the epaulets when he left. i would love to see exactly what he was talking about haha.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

ETMC Teal....at trademarked color believe it or not...and the most godawfully ugly uniform I've ever worn (at the time they were paired with tan and green shirts with "western" style pockets).

Second worst would be the "Evil Kinevel" flight suits at AEL which I understand they've gotten rid of...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I worked at a service in Connecticut in the 80s. The uniform then was maroon polyester straight leg pants, a white web belt, a navy blue button down class B with a zillion patches and collar brass and a white t shirt underneath. The only cold weather gear was a wool commando sweater, with patches, or a thin nylon windbreaker. We also were required to carry two radios and a pouch full of "EMT tools".

Yikes.

KellyBracket

Forum Captain
Pretty sure I'm in the running for worst "uniform" ever.

My first job in EMS was for the Worst Private Ambulance Ever. On top of terrible equipment, fraudulent practices, dangerous rigs, and co-workers who ended up on the front page for all the wrong reasons, we had shame-inducing uniforms.

It was an old-fashioned dental or psych-orderly tunic, with snaps down the shoulder, in white. Like this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Harry_Landers_Bettye_Ackerman_Ben_Casey_1961.JPG

BUT with matching white pants!

CalS

Forum Ride Along

My first job in EMS was for the Worst Private Ambulance Ever. On top of terrible equipment, fraudulent practices, dangerous rigs, and co-workers who ended up on the front page for all the wrong reasons, we had shame-inducing uniforms.

It was an old-fashioned dental or psych-orderly tunic, with snaps down the shoulder, in white. Like this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Harry_Landers_Bettye_Ackerman_Ben_Casey_1961.JPG

eeeew :sad:

That looks awkward and not very functional.

I can't say I've ever been at a company that's had a bad uniform. I've worked for 2 paid companies in my past and both held very strict appearance and uniform standards. The big company I worked at our uniforms almost made us look like cops...which wasn't bad where we we're at.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member

Did you ever meet Speed while you were working at Fishbine?

That reference might date a few of y'all!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Another thing I don't like about our uniforms is the fact that our pants and shirts are made by a different company. At first the colors match fine but the pants fade and the shirts don't. I like the Blauer uniform shirts better than the 5.11 ones though. The zipper front but looks like it buttons down...brilliant!