Driving Policies and Proceedures

nibejeebies

Oldie but Goodie. Still Young Though!
I have the lovely task assigned of formalizing our current operations of the ambulances during emergency along with non emergency operation (driving).

I an wondering if any one out there would be willing to share their current service or company driving polices?

I am particularly interested in those that incorporate some form of device such as ZOLL's Road Safety or GPSTrackIT or something along those lines as we are currently in a bid process for that.

Any input would be appricated either here in the thread or via PM. Thank you.

Oh and HAPPY EMS WEEK

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ours are pretty simple.

Drive with due regard.

If using emergency lights siren must be used unless 2200-0600(I believe that's the time in the morning) in residential zones.

Can exceed the speed limit when safe to do so when traveling red lights and sirens (RLS).

Complete stop at all red lights and stop signs when RLS.

10mph over posted is the guideline but you can exceed that if safe to do so.

Posted speed in construction and school zones both routine and RLS.

If traveling routine obey all traffic laws.

Never exceed 80mph.

No cellphones while operating and passenger is no cellphone if RLS.

No distracted driving ie eating while driving.

Passenger does all mapping and radio operations.

We use iDrive for our cameras. The have activation triggers for g-forces, activation of emergency lights, panic button, overheard dome light in the cab, 80mph, 86mph and every 90 minutes after last activation. I think that's all of them.

Not required to use a "backer" when reversing but it's encouraged.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
We use cevo and Evoc driver training for all emts.
Drive with due regard and full stop when code 3 at all red lights and stop signs until clear.
10mph over the limit when code 3 unless weather factors in then we cannot exceed posted limits.
Posted limits and no lights and sirens in school zones.
Posted limits in construction zones.
Company uses dashcam in all rides and backing cameras in RETS rides.
AVL for tracking and data on all units.
When using lights sirens must be used.
No cellphone use while driving.
Backer is required except when partner is unable to do so due to other responsibilities and duties.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Evoc for all new hires. Never exceed 80mph, encouraged to not exceed 15mph over posted speed limit. 15mph when opposing. Complete stop at red lights, 15mph thru stop signs.Posted speed in school zones. Lights may be run without siren based on driver's discretion.
No cell phone use while driving. Backer is always required "unless one is not available", and then the attendant is encouraged to spot from the back windows. No dash cams, no tracking other than the hard speed limit of 80mph. "Encouraged" not to pass on the right, encouraged not to oppose with a hard center divider/median present. Passenger does all maps, never use the MDT or maps while driving.