"Don't read the book"

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I taught my elementary students anatomy two years ago that was more complex than EMT anatomy.

I live for the day I get a call from my daughter's health/science teachers. :cool:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I live for the day I get a call from my daughter's health/science teachers. :cool:

There are mini Venes out there? How on earth has cancer, Hep C and AIDS not been cured yet when more than one of you exists...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
There are mini Venes out there? How on earth has cancer, Hep C and AIDS not been cured yet when more than one of you exists...

We like trauma and critical care...:D

Edit proud father moment: the picture of my daughter on my profile page is when she was 2. I was reading miller's anesthesia cover to cover and she would sit with me and ask me to explain the diagrams and pictures to her. She is now 3 and can explain to you prostaglandin synthesis in 2 languages.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Edit proud father moment: the picture of my daughter on my profile page is when she was 2. I was reading miller's anesthesia cover to cover and she would sit with me and ask me to explain the diagrams and pictures to her. She is now 3 and can explain to you prostaglandin synthesis in 2 languages.

:unsure: feeling inferior.

Also, can't say I'd peg you for a facebooker lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Awesome. That how my boy is picking up his hydrodynamics and pump operations. It's all about the priorities. :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I taught my elementary students anatomy two years ago that was more complex than EMT anatomy.
12_med_students_panel_08__Small_.jpg

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

Wow.......

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I am like Vene, I have every book I ever bought for college. From ancient Greece to metamorphic rock. All my books go in my library organized by subject. And I hate any flaws in my books such as dog ears, or pencil marks. I guess I am anal about my books.

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
So I've been putting thought into what the person said and your advice

It seems to me that the major argument boiled down to this: The most important responsibility of an EMS worker is to get the patient from the site of transport to the hospital in better or NO WORSE of a condition than they were during first contact.

Knowledge can become a hindrance or even detrimental to the patient when it leads to over-thinking and consequently over-treatment or erroneous treatment.

My contention still stands: Reading the book isn't going to make or break the technician but it's part of an endeavor towards a better understanding of the body and how it can be treated. While a little knowledge can be dangerous, so can no knowledge at all.

Feels like I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but I start my first class tonight. We'll see how my opinion changes!

Thank you for the replies

Doczilla

Forum Captain
It boils down to this: what you do in a book scenario and what you do in the back of a truck don't always coincide. No matter how much "street" advice you get, you still need to pass that test.

And even though the EMT book can get a little bland, oversimplified, and narrow, its all you got. Youve gotta start somewhere.