"Don't read the book"

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Someone actually said this to me the other day regarding the EMT-B course.

I am of course going to read the book. It seems evident to me that the best application of a skill comes from solid conceptualization of why you're carrying out that task in the first place.

Can anyone expound upon this? Should I read the book for the gist? Should I spend more time on application videos than memorizing every detail?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ok, I admit it, I just lol'd.

If you think the EMT B book is going to give you a solid conceptualization of anything I have some great oceanfeont property in South Sudan for sale.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
EMT texts are often poorly written misguiding literature at a 4th grade reading level.

If you really want to excel but remain at a basic EMS level, pick up a well reviewed paramedic text. I'm sure many on this forum would give or sell you one pretty cheap.

The Brady emergency care book with 10 pages on A&P and 500 pages on carrying devices and scene safety is beyond laughable.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Read the book for school. It's structured to help you with the NREMT exam material. Do this through the end of medic school.

Then take those books, set them on fire, and drag them behind your car....

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Read the book for school. It's structured to help you with the NREMT exam material. Do this through the end of medic school.

Then take those books, set them on fire, and drag them behind your car....

This.

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, I admit it, I just lol'd.

If you think the EMT B book is going to give you a solid conceptualization of anything I have some great oceanfeont property in South Sudan for sale.

You're missing the big picture, which is probably why you bought that property in South Sudan;).

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
EMT texts are often poorly written misguiding literature at a 4th grade reading level.

If you really want to excel but remain at a basic EMS level, pick up a well reviewed paramedic text. I'm sure many on this forum would give or sell you one pretty cheap.

The Brady emergency care book with 10 pages on A&P and 500 pages on carrying devices and scene safety is beyond laughable.

I have noticed through reading the first few chapters that I'd probably be able to answer most questions without even reading the book but I'm trying to do this endeavor 'right'. I just got out of college so I'm still comfortable with time management and studying.

There's a paramedic book sitting around my HQ that I'll supplement with.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

And the A&P sections are written at pretty much a high school level.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Our text was fairly indepth for a basic level book. That said it doesn't really apply to real world.

I think what they meant though was don't read ahead. Reading ahead will confuse you especially early on in the class when you may confuse test questions and what not. The text book is designed to go in order.

Real knowledge comes from experience, mentors and advanced classes. The basic text is just enough knowledge to make you dangerous.

jleverin

Forum Ride Along
Go ahead and read the book for school, realizing that there is a lot to be learned after training that isn't in there. Just remember that if you are on a scene and not sure what action to take , going by the book will keep you out of trouble. Its a combination of book learnng and steet smarts alot of the time. I've found that to be true in the nursing profession as well, you learn alot in school that sometimes doesn't apply in the practice world. But if you go by the standards, you protect yourself.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Maybe your friend thinks the class is being graded on a curve? In the same vein as evading the bear: you don' have to outrun him, just have to outrun at least one other classmate.
Kidding.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Go ahead and read the book for school, realizing that there is a lot to be learned after training that isn't in there. Just remember that if you are on a scene and not sure what action to take , going by the book will keep you out of trouble. Its a combination of book learnng and steet smarts alot of the time. I've found that to be true in the nursing profession as well, you learn alot in school that sometimes doesn't apply in the practice world. But if you go by the standards, you protect yourself.

No, the book wont keep you out of trouble. Your local Protocols will keep you out of trouble.

Not every Basic can do Glucometry, or assist with nitro or epi for example.

The book is only to NREMT standards and will get you through the NREMT test. Once hired, knowing your protocols and standard of care is what will keep you out of hot water.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
As others have said, I would definitely suggest reading the textbook, even if it is not very well written. Chances are all of your tests in the class are going to be based on the book and it is probably written to help you pass the NREMT.

Beyond that, I prefer to read books aimed for the Medical Student crowd. Sure some of the chapters may leave you feel like this, but they generally provide a better understanding of how and why things work, instead of just shoving algorithms down your throat like most pre-hospital emergency care books do.

I used that book for my EMT-B class and it was terrible. The sad part was that about 70% of my class failed the test over the A&P part.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I read the book and took notes in class (ala paid good attention). I didn't typically find it necessary to really study for the tests except to memorize vital sign ranges and things of that nature. I had the highest grade in my class (not that they print your grade on the certificate) but if I can do it, you can too.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Beyond that, I prefer to read books aimed for the Medical Student crowd. Sure some of the chapters may leave you feel like this, but they generally provide a better understanding of how and why things work, instead of just shoving algorithms down your throat like most pre-hospital emergency care books do.

Ironically I don't own any books so far for any of the M1 medical classes I am taking in grad school. It is advised you don't buy the required texts.

I agree with a general consensus so far. You need to read the book. It may not seem particularly useful in the field, but you need to build from somewhere and your "experience" and everything is going to be hollow as you don't really understand it.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
It depends on the book. I liked to scan the book before lecture and the take notes during the lecture because the notes were the same as the chapter. Then I went online and used the online portion that was provided to us. It had quizzes and crosswords and all that good stuff. I wouldn't say the book was essential, but it would have been hard without it.

leoemt

Forum Captain
I read the book and took notes in class (ala paid good attention). I didn't typically find it necessary to really study for the tests except to memorize vital sign ranges and things of that nature. I had the highest grade in my class (not that they print your grade on the certificate) but if I can do it, you can too.

Did the exact same as you with the same result. Definately the best advice once could give - pay attention. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. There were several questions that I wanted to ask only to have another student raise their hand and ask the same exact question. If you are confused, chances are someone else is too.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I am a book guy.

I buy the required texts ad I read them...

All of them...

At least once...

My sig says it all.

"I learn for life, not to impress a school master."

I agree an EMT-B text is not the best book to learn patient care, but you must decide if your goal is to barely pass or to be the best at patient care.

You may pass the class without a book. (any class) but you may find that is the minimum you need.