Dog Intubation

Anjel

Forum Angel

Hockey

Quackers
Glad im not going there lol

We were one of the first classes that did it. Rick's brother is the vet I believe. They found a stray and they made it the vet pet. 2 classes went through and tubed the dog 3 times each person. Basically all we did was move the tongue out of the way and put it in, pull it out and repeat.

Didn't learn anything really and I wasn't 100% comfortable doing it.

Covenant was screwing with us for OR time and I never got to go there. I did all mine in the field other than the 3 there.

I hope they improve their program. I really wanted to go to OB and Peds but we couldn't because they pissed them off before. I hear they're doing their tubes at St Marys now (OP can you confirm?). Is Bill your teacher?

OP
OP
G

Gilbert

Forum Ride Along
I'd have problems with the intubating a dog repeatedly in one session because there would be too high a chance for injury upon extubation in my opinion.

As for the anatomy, it's close enough that you can learn the techniques and more importantly - get over the fear of intubation. If your state has a minimum required intubations, I can understand using this as an option (otherwise you may have bad luck and be waiting for months just for your last intubation).

I think you should have done better research before picking that course if you have that much of an issue with the way they operate.
Techniques are changed due to the equipment not necessary to intuabate a dog....like a laryngoscope

Last edited by a moderator:

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
I'd much prefer we got to practice on prisoners and others with a debt to society to repay but unfortunately some :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s about 70 years ago completely ruined that option.

Ditto!

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
This post makes me sad. If we had to practice on animals here I wouldn't be able to do it. Make convicts be lab rats.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
My girlfriend is a vet, and I just told her about this thread. She laughed, "Dogs are easy," she said. "if you want to simulate pedi airways, try kittens." I advocated using cats as a training adjunct for pedi intubations in a paper that I wrote for medic school.

Agreed. 6 years as a Vet Tech; the last year as the senior vet tech. Intubated 10-30 a week. Dogs are no issue; move tounge, insert, inflate. Cats were the issue; the smaller the worse. Constantly had to step in after some techs 3 try; not easy when the little guy won't "open up for ya". Pigs also sucked and from what I am told are the most similar structurally to humans. Not sure if that is true. Can't see how dog or cat intubations prepare anyone for human intubation; apples and oranges.

From what I have heard, many institutions have stopped using dogs and cats for intubation practices due to animal rights protests.