Dog care while away on duty?

tyler500e

Forum Probie
I just bought my first house and I'll be moving in about a week. I'm excited, but I'm also dreading the move because I still haven't figured out how I will have my dog cared for while I'm away on a 24-hour shift.

I'll be moving out of my brothers house and he is moving his girlfriend in the following week. I've thought about the roommate option, but all of my friends are either married, engaged, or living with their significant others. I also am not a fan of hiring help to let themselves into my house while I am away.

I have thought about a doggy door, but my dog has a history of getting bored and then finding things to eat that require surgical intervention to remove so I can't do that any more.

It seems that the doggy hotels or boarding places are more tailored to people leaving town and thus the pricing is pretty high. I'd like to not have to spend several hundred dollars a month resolving this issue.

Any single people on here with dogs, and what do you do to have them cared for while you're away on shift?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Im not single, since my gf and her friends hang out when I'm on duty... but we have looked at in home pet sitters that come by to let the three dogs out a couple times a day. Usually runs 10-15 a day if needed..

But you really need to make sure theyre crate trained amd that you're ok with gettimg help if you're too far out to let the pup out.

I know since i live 4 blocks from my statiom i could probably take them out quickly if needed

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you have a friend with a dog who would let your dog come over for "play dates" while you work?

SavesWithGrace

Forum Ride Along
Check out Craigslist, Rover.com or even a local "town" Facebook group. I have two Alaskan Malamutes and I work 1600 - 0600 shifts. When my teens go visit their dad I have to hire someone to come crash on the couch and just be here so the dogs don't get anxious and eat the house. Yes, like eat the walls and floor :eek:

My person charges $40 a night... which is very reasonable. But I'm glad I don't have to use her very often because my teens are nocturnal as well!