Does OEC+EMT-B = WEMT?

nah2323

Forum Ride Along
As the title describes, does OEC and EMTB for the most part equal WEMT? I know it's not the actual certificate, but was wondering if the combined training of the two is close.

Anyone have any thoughts?

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
close, but not quite. WEMT gets deeper into impromptu medical and improvising. OEC is mostly for ski patrol, thus assumes you have lots of resources.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No. WEMT goes into prolonged care a little as well as what socal said.

OP
OP
N

nah2323

Forum Ride Along
Hmm. Makes some sense I guess.

I mean on my patrol, we have a decent amount of resources most of the time. Catch us midweek, and the staff is reduced to about a handful. Have a patient, don't expect more than two people to work the incident. First due to assess and request resources/equipment, second to bring supplies/sled. If it misses the second patroller, you're SOL. I wouldn't consider that an abundance of resources. With that in the back of all of our minds, we train, train and then train some more on performing tasks with minimal equipment. Multiple pts or technical rescue would bring more people.

What Í guess I don't understand is how the amount of available resources would matter in WEMT situations, provided it's a dispatched emergency. I would like to think that most heavy rescue rigs would roll with enough equipment to extricate the patient(s) from a given situation such as high/low angle, stokes or litter, and the like with the exception of motorized all-terrain transport on board. A dispatched emergency to that type of call would more than likely include some sort of ATV, UTV, or side by side on the "due rig" list if available to provide intermediary transport from the patient site (or as close as possible) to the transporting agency's ambulance.

Now, if it's a random occurence situation, and you are out mountain biking and come upon a pt, then that would be a different story...

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you can do it go for it.

I'm not a huge fan of OEC. It may have something to do with the skill of our vollies, and don't get me wrong there are good ones.

I have seen too many scenes go to H*ell in a hand basket, with a few of our OEC guys.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Ahh, looks like I can bang out WEMT in 5 days at SOLO. Not bad at all.

WEMT Upgrade is 3 days at SOLO, no?
WEMT includes more material on medical incidents, rather than just trauma, there's material on other wilderness or remote care environments.

OP
OP
N

nah2323

Forum Ride Along
NVRob, i know what you're saying. 85%+ of our patrol is EMT level or higher including myself. TO be a part of NSP, you are required to be OEC. Which if EMT is a cakewalk for the challenge.

Dan, I just looked at the Solo website last night, looks like it's a 5 day (48 hr) program to upgrade from EMT to WEMT. If it's 3 days, that's even better. I wonder if OEC will count for any of that time.

Outworld

Forum Probie
Dan, I just looked at the Solo website last night, looks like it's a 5 day (48 hr) program to upgrade from EMT to WEMT. If it's 3 days, that's even better. I wonder if OEC will count for any of that time.
3 days is NOT better unless you just want the letters / cert. Any 3 day course and most of the 5 day ones will just teach you the 'course in a can'. Gets you the cert but no solid experience and critical thinking / problem solving skills. My suggestion is that you seek out those courses that are more in depth. They are longer but you get what ya sweat for...

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My mistake. It is now 5 days. The "longer" programs are simply EMT + Wilderness module (street + wilderness), the 5 day programs are WEMT upgrade for those who are already EMTs. The upgrade courses tend to have more success because the students are generally already established EMTs and hikers (or spent time wilderness, often as a guide), they are able to apply past experiences into the material more seamlessly. The scenarios in the module involve advanced assessments and critical thinking.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dave25

Forum Ride Along
the wilderness class i took was around 50 hours. I thought it was great, it covered both street and outdoor medicine. Ended with a survival night campout.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
OEC+EMT-B = WEMT?

No. WEMT is WEMT. Useless in most cases... but, whatever.

OEC is the Ski Patrol standard. Good course.

EMT-B is...well, EMT-B.

If you've got a wild hair to be a WEMT, most reputable Wilderness Med programs have an upgrade for Basics to become WEMTs with a short class. Unless you're planning on working as a guide or something else that requires WEMT as a condition of employment, save your money and take an A&P class. :)

AK_SAR

Forum Crew Member
I'm not a huge fan of OEC. It may have something to do with the skill of our vollies, and don't get me wrong there are good ones.

I have seen too many scenes go to H*ell in a hand basket, with a few of our OEC guys.
If your volunteers are not perfoming well, then the problem might have more to do with those doing the training and supervision? OEC itself is a good program.

To answer the original post, no, OEC + EMT-B does not equal WEMT. In my experience, OEC and EMT-B actually cover mostly the same material. As always, much depends on the instructor, and in my case OEC was actually a better taught course. WEMT is going to focus more on extended care, long evac times, and improvisation. OEC covers a little of that, but it is really (in my opinion) just EMT adapted to the ski hill.

Note, here in Alaska, we aren't called "EMT-B", we are "EMT-1", even though it is the same program. Don't ask me why.