Does anyone work out of North Carolina?

CEL

Forum Ride Along
I'm trying to get any information on coming into the the EMS system from out of state via reciprocity.

OP
OP
CEL

CEL

Forum Ride Along
[...]

All the reciprocity info you could want.

Thanks for your reply. I'll having problems, however. If you read both criteria for legal recognition of reciprocity (in bold below), you'll see my conclusion.

People currently holding EMS credentials from other states, the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) [...] may be issued a North Carolina EMS credential through legal recognition.

People seeking legal recognition must reside in North Carolina, attend an EMS educational program in North Carolina, or work for a licensed North Carolina EMS provider.

It's the same problem of this thread: emtlife.comshowthread.php?t=33181 (sorry, I'd like it but I don't have five posts and can't link things).
North Carolina Reciprocity - HELP!!!!!
I recently finished up Paramedic school and am studying and waiting to test for National Registry. I want to moved to NC but employers informed me that they can't hire me until I receive reciprocity but the state wants me to gain employment before they'll give me reciprocity. It's like the old predicament "we can't hire you because you have no experience" when you can't gain experience until you get hired. I feel like I am drowning in a sea of confusion. The only way that I can find around this gaining employment first bullcrap is to sign up for an "approved" EMS course. I have been through EMT-B, EMT-I and all Paramedic courses. What courses count as "approved"? Do continuing education courses count? SOMEONE....PLEEEEEEEASE HELP!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
I work for Mecklenburg EMS. Based in Charlotte. PM if you're interested. I moved out from So. Cal and had to do all that transition stuff.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I work for Mecklenburg EMS. Based in Charlotte. PM if you're interested. I moved out from So. Cal and had to do all that transition stuff.

I might toss you a pm too. I applied for Durham and wake county ems and I'm afraid I'll run into this bs too

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I might toss you a pm too. I applied for Durham and wake county ems and I'm afraid I'll run into this bs too
Have you contacted Skip Kirkwood? He was involved in Wake County EMS, now runs the show in Durham. He's fairly active on JEMS Connect.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Have you contacted Skip Kirkwood? He was involved in Wake County EMS, now runs the show in Durham. He's fairly active on JEMS Connect.

I did. He didn't say that anything should be an issue. So I think I'm good to go. But I'm paranoid about reciprocity complications lol.

delicatemess

Forum Ride Along
I just got hired in NC and am in the process of doing the reciprocity. It wasn't a requirement to have my NC license before being hired and I just had to send my offer letter in as proof of affiliation.
No problems so far (and hopefully none at all) and it has been straight forward and easy. Good luck!

OP
OP
CEL

CEL

Forum Ride Along
Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone :)!

Cool, I'll be sending you a PM soon, thanks.