does anyone have any experience with this book?

zmedic

Forum Captain
It depends what you need it for. Most of these books are for emergency physicians, usually residents get these once they have a stipend because they are pretty pricey. I'm not sure most paramedics need that level of detail. What are you getting the book for? For a class? For your own education?

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
It depends what you need it for. Most of these books are for emergency physicians, usually residents get these once they have a stipend because they are pretty pricey. I'm not sure most paramedics need that level of detail. What are you getting the book for? For a class? For your own education?

my own education/entertainment. my text for paramedic is relatively easy thus far. maybe that will change 2nd semester? I've been studying ahead..

grich242

Forum Crew Member
my own education/entertainment. my text for paramedic is relatively easy thus far. maybe that will change 2nd semester? I've been studying ahead..

THe text book is easy because most are written at the 10th grade level, I would caution getting more advanced books for the time being only because sometimes advanced students have trouble with testing and scenario questions because the read too much into things. More info is always great but some of the things in say a book designed for md's can have you looking too deep into things and mucking up your scenarios with questions that arent relevant. The test is what you need to get licensed. try different texts or complimentary material for medic it can give you in sight from a different point of view, the after you can move on to more advanced texts.

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief

THe text book is easy because most are written at the 10th grade level, I would caution getting more advanced books for the time being only because sometimes advanced students have trouble with testing and scenario questions because the read too much into things. More info is always great but some of the things in say a book designed for md's can have you looking too deep into things and mucking up your scenarios with questions that arent relevant. The test is what you need to get licensed. try different texts or complimentary material for medic it can give you in sight from a different point of view, the after you can move on to more advanced texts.

+1
On a skills check off for crich's i mentioned the recurrent pharyngeal nerves, and the instructor didn't know what i was talking about? our class has several different instructors and is set up "shift friendly". The instructors vary from one M.D, to just paramedics. It is amazing how you can say one thing to one instructor and he can tell you are putting in extra time and effort, and say the same thing to some one else, and they look at you like they have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

grich242

Forum Crew Member
the extra effort will pay off for you as a medic and more importantly for your patients. Sometimes people in this field are threatened by knowledge. know the medic stuff inside and out which im sure you will and you'll do great just stay grounded for now.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Yeah. If you are bored I would focus on drugs and ECGs. You could spend a long time just on that. So you should know every drug that you carry, the dosing, indications and contraindications and potential side effects. Through in mechanism of action and that would be a pretty decent amount of study. Or get an advanced ECG book (the ED recomends Dr. Matu's books). Once you've mastered all the drugs and know how to spot bruegda syndrome then you might want more intense emergency medicine books.

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
afirm. There is a reason I do science and not english.

no worries, just yankin yer chain.

how long did yo work in the field before starting med school? and what other advice would you offer to someone who is interested in possibly doing the same?

apumic

Forum Probie

Doesn't this fact indicate a problem with said tests? I have certainly experienced this myself but to me it indicates a failure of the test-writer not of the student. (Psychometric validity would agree with my proposition that this indicates a failure of the test as well. Item validity would be brought into question on any test item which a more advanced level of knowledge is likely to make more difficult as it has an inverse correlation with the top scorers on the test as a whole.) Instead of simply accepting that advanced education would be a negative for taking the test, why not bring our testing standards as an industry up to that level? I personally wouldn't want someone whose understanding of the human body can be explained at a 10th grade reading level working on me! (Don't know about you, but I'd think many would feel similarly about that.)

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Doesn't this fact indicate a problem with said tests? I have certainly experienced this myself but to me it indicates a failure of the test-writer not of the student. (Psychometric validity would agree with my proposition that this indicates a failure of the test as well. Item validity would be brought into question on any test item which a more advanced level of knowledge is likely to make more difficult as it has an inverse correlation with the top scorers on the test as a whole.) Instead of simply accepting that advanced education would be a negative for taking the test, why not bring our testing standards as an industry up to that level? I personally wouldn't want someone whose understanding of the human body can be explained at a 10th grade reading level working on me! (Don't know about you, but I'd think many would feel similarly about that.)

haha well said.