Doctor and medic in different country treating patient in US?

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
This happened recently. I had a flight call; the patent was American, but was in a hospital in Mexico. Pilot flew him in from Mexico and came with a Mexican MD and medic.

My question/concern is: are the crew in the right to treat the patient once the patient enters the US? What are the laws concerning a paramedic in a different country providing care in the US?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Generally speaking as long as you are licensed in the country/state of origin it is legal.

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Wow, sounds like a cool flight call! I'd like to know how this works as well.

samiam

Amazing Member
I assume you mean us airspace? When you are in the sky the laws and regulations of the origin country apply until you land.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've done several transports from a home to the airport with a patient and doctor who were flying to Canada and England.

From what I was able to gather they provide all care until the patient arrives at the destination facility or residence.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Foreign MD's are not automatically granted recognition by US (ask many MD's from Eastern Europe, former USSR, Philippines, SE and SW Asia).
Also, admission privileges...have to go to ER, right?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Foreign MD's are not automatically granted recognition by US (ask many MD's from Eastern Europe, former USSR, Philippines, SE and SW Asia).
Also, admission privileges...have to go to ER, right?

Why would they have to go to the ED if they have an accepting physician for a direct admit on the transfer?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Why would they have to go to the ED if they have an accepting physician for a direct admit on the transfer?

I didn't see that in the OP.
If so, then all set, go right in.