Do you wear sunglasses at work?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I wear Oakley flak jackets. My eyes are very sensitive to light, so they're on all day. Our department policy is "they come off when you make PT contact."

Next to my iPhone, they're the only thing I can't work without.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
when I wear contacts during a day shift, I always have my sunglasses with me. I just purchased a new pair off ebay
$(KGrHqV,!hME-Y,Gil)3BPr-e3Essg~~60_3.JPG

I had a pair years ago, they broke, and I never replaced them. found them on ebay, and for $10, I immediately bought a new pair. never pay more than $20 for regular glasses. they get lost or broken too often

always when driving, always when sunny, indoors they come off.

I was going to buy a pair of prescription oakley glasses. when I have more money.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
A day without sunglasses is a very bad day indeed. Anytime I'm up in the cab, I wear my gratuitously large Anon's, it's how I derive my authority don't ya know. They are also quite useful for daytime napping.

Actually I just hate driving or riding while squinting. When we go into a facility I try and leave them in the cab since we technically have a policy that we're not supposed to be inside with them on our heads (we have a rather stern uniform policy). I just stick in arm in the siren microphone cable, no partner has been able to dislodge them yet.

At outdoor scenes I'll try and make eye contact without them but if I'm squinting I look stupid so I'll put them back on. For the Sports Medicine job they're on the whole time, I don't think a 20 year old lacrosse player much cares if I'm steri-stripping or taping an ankle with shades on. Plus talking to a coach with them on keeps the coaches from seeing the fear in my eyes.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Prior to my getting over my fear of my contacts putting me at risk for picking up bacteria at work, I would wear my Rx sunglasses while in the cab and switch to my regular glasses once on scene and in the back. My old company had a policy (not that policies mattered there) against wearing sunglasses on our heads while in facilities, and that pair wouldn't stay on my head if I tried, so I'd usually tuck them into my shirt at the neck.

Now I wear contacts with non-RX Ray Bans (NOT Aviators) when in the cab, and leave them folded on the grab handle. My present company doesn't have a specific policy against it, but out of habit, and because my new ones will only stay on my head through so much jostling, I prefer to not have them with me when I'm on a call.

Contacts make life so much easier.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
I wear my sunglasses almost constantly, indoors or out (unless it's raining). I will sometimes take them off for Pt contact, depending on the situation- but always for Peds. We have no set "policy" regarding sunglasses. Plus, they come in way handy at the end of a 24 hour shift and I don't look as bright eyed as I'd like to.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I wear my sunglasses almost constantly, indoors or out.
why are you (or anyone else) wearing sunglasses inside? last I check, inside most structures it wasn't that sunny

Personally, if I was inside and speaking to a patient or another healthcare provider (or anyone actually), and they didn't take off their sunglasses, I would consider that to be a sign of rudeness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure it won't raise any questions when I start walking into things because I have no depth perception without my glasses on.

Lozenger19

Forum Crew Member
I ware sunglasses when I'm on duty. The only time I don't ware them is if i'm treating a patient.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Our uniform policy actually specifies that we can't wear any "over the top" sunglasses.

Sunglasses
Conservative sunglass styles are permitted. Regular sunglasses will not be worn during patient contact. Prescription sunglasses that change tint are permitted.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Personally, if I was inside and speaking to a patient or another healthcare provider (or anyone actually), and they didn't take off their sunglasses, I would consider that to be a sign of rudeness.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

XenalliEMT

Forum Ride Along
Sunglasses are a MUST!

I think because we do a lot of driving, its necessary to wear sunglasses when outdoors and when driving. I use RX sunglasses and my regular glasses have transitions lenses. So I am always protected. Just like I suggest:excl:, if you wearing short sleeves uniform, put sun screen on your arms!!!!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I don't wear sunglasses when speaking to patients because I think they are more open and less guarded if they can see my eyes. Just my opinion but think about the last time you had a trooper pull you over in his mirrored shades. How warm and fuzzy did it make you feel staring into those mirrors? There is a psychological reason that cops wear those mirrored shades. It keep people they are talking to from being able to read them by watching their eyes and keeps them off balance. Yes there are some rare instances in EMS where this might be of value but they are few and far between.