Do you wear sunglasses at work?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I've seen a recent post that possibly implicated wearing sunglasses at work as unprofessional.

So do you wear them? Are they Rx? Do you wear them inside? Does your company have any kind of policy regarding them?

I wear sunglasses, they're my favorite "hair accessory" and are often pushed up on top of my head if I'm not currently wearing them.

My eyes are sensitive to light, especially when driving. I don't wear them inside, though. If we get the rare outside patient, I try not to wear them over my eyes while talking to the patient.

No company policy regarding them but we've had supervisors grumble about them.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Yes I always have them on me at work. I hate driving without them. I'll take them off when I go inside, or when talking to a patient outdoors. Otherwise I'm usually wearing them.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I wear them all the time. No, I don't wear then inside. I don't see how that would be unprofessional. Our company doesn't have a specific policy on it, they just ask that you don't wear "loud" or obnoxious styles/colors; preferably black, white or grey.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I wear Rx glasses, and thus Rx sunglasses. After working nights for a few years I have a very low tolerance for sunlight, so I wear my sunglasses most of my shift.

I do wear them inside because it is difficult to switch back and forth on 911 calls. Our vision insurance sucks and I refuse to keep my normal glasses on my person because if they break I have to pay out of pocket for them. If anyone gives me a look or asks I explain that they are prescription. I do not think wearing sunglasses is unprofessional at all.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Rx sunglasses or regular glasses if it's dark outside.

I take em off when I'm inside or talking to a patient when outside, if I'm on a scene outside but not directly interacting with a patient they stay on.

A. I can see better.
B. I like my eyesight and I'm not a huge fan of bright light.

I'm not blind enough that I can't function without my glasses but I have zero depth perception without them so wearing them when I drive is a must.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I make it a point to only wear mine at night.

That being said, when I'm working, I usually only wear them at work when I am in the ambulance, and occasionally when I'm on an outdoor scene, but not very often.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sunglasses are on anytime it's day and I don't have a patient. Sunglasses while driving.

Indoors they come off. The back of the ambulance they are off.

Whenever I have a patient I am not wearing sunglasses (I want the patient to see my beautiful eyes haha).

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I wear them while driving but that's about it. I leave them in the truck because I don't want to drop them on scene. I can see how wearing something to help you see better while driving in sunny conditions could be unprofessional.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
My Rx glasses change; and do it fairly fast so I just stay with that. My eyes don't need the dark tint that sunglasses would give and it is easier than changing back and forth all the time

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
They were my trademark driving the rescue truck. One crew chief's little kid called aviator-style sunglasses "go-fast glasses", he applied and it stuck..."Dr Gofast".
On to drive or outside especially in sunlit snow, off to talk or when indoors.
So help me, I bought a pair of amber "flip-ups" for reading in the backyard...nerdy best of both worlds.
("Hi Sir" (flip-up)"my name is Mycrofft, I'll be your driver today" (flip-down).

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I only need them from April-November. During the winter, as long as we don't have snow, the sun doesn't bother me that much.

I don't think they're unprofessional but I try to remember I have them on if my only interaction with a patient is when I'm outside, and take them off if only for a minute to get eye-to-eye contact.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I wear them while driving, they're Rx. I also wear mine while spending prolonged periods outside. The only time they come off is when interacting with a patient or going indoors.

Usually I just leave them on top of my head as that is the most secure place I've found for them. When going into psychiatric facilities I will leave them in the rig.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why in psych facilities?

I actually FORGOT my sunglasses today. Thank goodness its overcast.

But my current pair of sunglasses:
ad6ba9b7-39fb-d315.jpg

"Emma" by Coach. They're supercute.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Why in psych facilities?

Higher chance of a tussle, especially at the ones who like to avoid sedation/chemical restraints in favor of treating patients like animals and tying them down.
Don't want to break them.

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
I wear my sunglasses all the time unless in contact with the patient.

I don't want more wrinkles to develop around my eyes from squinting! :p

And they definitely are a handy hair accessory when you don't have anything else handy.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Working BLS, they are always on unless we are parked and have a sunshade up. They also come off once I'm inside a facility. Working 911, I try my best to switch with my regular glasses, but do forget on occasion. It's never been a problem.

I wear RX glasses and sunglasses. They swap in and out of a hardshell case that goes in my cargo pocket.

Mine:
http://www.oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/750x350/73/4b50b6d91ec76.jpg

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
1446563-p-DETAILED.jpg

Theses are mine, I do my best to only wear them indoor and at night time, damn florescent lighting hurts my eyes. In case you were wondering yes that is me wearing them.