Do you generally know your EMS providers?

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
For example, you know most of the people in your company, but do you know the firefighters, doctors, nurses, etc?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yeah, for the most part. Not all on a first name basis (20 hospitals and a FD of 1800 people), but I know a good chunk at least by face. Pretty small works we work in.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
For example, you know most of the people in your company, but do you know the firefighters, doctors, nurses, etc?

I am from a town of aprox. 7-8k (coverage area is 15-20k) so we get to know everyone pretty quick.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When I started out I didn't know anyone. The more you work the more people you get to know. I know most of the nurses and doctors at our trauma center and a couple of nurses at our other hospitals.

I'm slowly learning the various firefighters and police officers in the area.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
In the rural area I work in, we have a 40 member department and half of them run fire with the township we are located in. That department is only about 35 people so yes, I know every single one of them! We further provide EMS for 3 other townships and those departments have about 20 people each I think? I don't know them that well since these are tiny towns of just a couple of hundred each and I don't go on runs out that way personally more than 4-5 times a year. But we're getting to know them. Over time, I know most of the ER nurses and techs and docs in the area.

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I know most of the providers in the area. We live in a very rural county and it seems like most of our emts work 2 or more jobs and its usually a different fire dept or ems squad in the same county. When we see each other its like "oh hey.....who are you with today?"

WyoMedic

Forum Probie
I feel like I know the majority of the firefighters from the area, as well as a good number of the police officers (helps that a few of them used to be medics...). Know A LOT of the nurses, docs, and techs from the ED as well. As far as facilities outside of the hospital, I recognize several of those staff members, but seems like they go through people like hipsters go through weed.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I know almost all of the career BLS people, all of the ED docs and the majority of ED nurses. We have a large area, but only three hospitals we routinely transport to. Also, our paid BLS folks frequently work at several fire departments, so you see them all frequently.