Votes: 31 51.7%
  • I wear them when there is a need to

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Gloves? what are gloves?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What I am stating is there are indeed times where gloves are simply not needed and all it takes is a bit of education/information and critical thinking skills to analyze and determine when and when not those times are..

This applies to just about every aspect of medicine, not just gloves. The trouble comes because there is very little critical thinking and knowledge going around, and not just in the EMS world.

Go look at the absolute "rules" med techs are taught about gloves. EMTs the same way, with everything from spineboards to "trauma needs a surgeon". Even Physicians are not exempt from "absolute rules" Does anyone really think the head of the Cardiology Dept. at a major academic hospital needs an ACLS course or should be beholden to its recommendations like it is a greater authority by consensus?

(please spare me the research argument until they take epi and all those other "life saving" drugs out of the arrest algorythms that their own research shows makes no difference)

I don't think you are being a hypocrite for telling people to always use BSI. Especially since you have to basically think for people who don't have enough knowledge or information to make a logical informed decision themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frozin

Forum Probie
Being a newb and still not working for a company yet, but during ride along's I put gloves on religiously. Maybe its the programming from school. I'm sure over time I will do as others do and wear them on a case by case basis.

While I was on my ride along we picked up a PT. who required a RT, I of course throw on the gloves and I watch as the medic and RT do whatever it is they were doing without gloves. Of course they told me never to do that :) Hehe.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
it depends on what she looks like lol:ph34r:

Speaking of that, I wear them whenever applying ECG electrodes on female patients so it seems more professional and in my mind may reduce any false accusations. I also try to use the back of my gloved hand to move there breast for the V leads.
I am not really concerned with my safety in the need for my gloves in the above example.