Votes: 31 51.7%
  • I wear them when there is a need to

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Gloves? what are gloves?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Another post in another thread got me wondering..

Who wears gloves and who doesn't and how often do they wear them?

So, vote, and discuss away!

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I've already incriminated myself in the other thread, so no reason to change my tune now. :)

I wear gloves most of the time, but not always.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I use to wear them every single call every single patient. Then a nurse asked me if wore gloves to shake someones hand or touch a door nob... I guess its better to be safe than sorry, but I now only wear gloves if I think myself or the patient need the barrier protection.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I am a glove freak as wear them on 99.99999% of jobs, and I strictly only wear blue gloves.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I am a glove freak as wear them on 99.99999% of jobs, and I strictly only wear blue gloves.

That is not going to match your orange jump suit. Which in the US would get your more girls if it says "prisoner" rather than "doctor." :p

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
That is not going to match your orange jump suit. Which in the US would get your more girls if it says "prisoner" rather than "doctor." :p

Perhaps, but Brown has always only worn blue gloves. Except this one time, on nights, when I stuck, I mean, when the vehicle only had purple.

Purple, WTF were they thinking?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What's the difference? They both wear scrubs these days. :)

I thought you were a lawyer? Obviously one person got caught and one didn't.

:pB)

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I can recall ONE patient I've seen without wearing gloves and that was when one of our local cops walked into the station and wanted his ankle looked at for a possible sprain / strain / pulled muscle. Looked at his ankle, it was slightly swollen and red. Popped an ice pack wrapped it in a washcloth, gave it to him, asked him if he wanted to go to the hospital and have it looked at. He said no and left.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, it's just that the doctor's medicare fraud case is still pending. But don't worry, he'll get probation.

Maybe Martha will teach him how to make muffins at Camp Federal ....

Not that I mind, it diverts attention away from my case of being arrested rolling around in a white van with tinted windows that plays siren sounds .... :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
When working on the ambulance, always gloves for first contact unless I already know the patient. Depending on the assessment, then I may not use gloves after that.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Always... and my glasses with clear lenses. I don't really see a reason not to. The glasses will come off, though, after I determine they're not coughing or bleeding. Gloves stay on. Always.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Always... and my glasses with clear lenses. I don't really see a reason not to. The glasses will come off, though, after I determine they're not coughing or bleeding. Gloves stay on. Always.

Yes because a foreign object or bio hazard (which could occur at any time) in the eye is much less serious than some blood on intact skin.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm of the Samuel L. Jackson/Starsky and Hutch school of thought on that.

"Oh, HAYLE, yes!"

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I always use gloves when transferring from Bed to gurney or gurney to bed, because i really dont know whats on those sheets...

but if the patient dosnt have any contact Isolation, i may or may not use gloves when taking a Bp/Pulse
but most of the time i do just cause it gives me a piece of mind and BSI has been drilled into my head since the first day of class....

but i always use Purell Hand Sanitizer

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I voted for "only when I need to," but that's not really quite true. There has only been 1 time I haven't worn gloves, and that's because I knew the person and wanted to make the situation easier on them. There wasn't any bodily fluid present, otherwise I would have worn them.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Gloves ok. How about your arms?

Bed transfers and carries often involve arm contact with backs and backsides.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

I have not fully evolved and have a very dense "outer coat" if you will. :)

Sasha

Forum Chief

Ugh, after ended up chest down in pee and butt sweat on more than one occasiona transferring from hospital bed to stretcher my vote is bed transfers should require isolation gowns. ick ick ick ick ick.