Do sirens 'NEED' to be on while driving code 3?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
IS there a legal definition and recognition of the phrase "Code 3" anywhere?

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
As an occasional fellow Iowa EMS provider I was unable to locate a specific law regarding this question. Regardless of any law it is company policy.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
As an occasional fellow Iowa EMS provider I was unable to locate a specific law regarding this question. Regardless of any law it is company policy.

Iowa does not require sirens with lights as a law itself, locally it may be different in certain cities or counties. Company policy may be different .
MN and SD require sirens with any lights

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

We call it RLS (red lights and sirens).

I'll try and find our state statute about it.

Edit: they just refer to it as "visual and audible warning signals activated"

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Iowa does not require sirens with lights as a law itself, locally it may be different in certain cities or counties. Company policy may be different .
MN and SD require sirens with any lights

And most places are doing away (or did away, years ago) with the Tens-Codes. (I so miss 10-8, 10-19 at the end of a run. Like good coffee after a good meal). All this shows how even with federal NIMS and etc coordination between agencies tends to stray.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And most places are doing away (or did away, years ago) with the Tens-Codes. (I so miss 10-8, 10-19 at the end of a run. Like good coffee after a good meal). All this shows how even with federal NIMS and etc coordination between agencies tends to stray.

We still use some 10-codes. 10-4, 10-8, 10-32, 10-78.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I would hope no state allows sirens without lights

We had a fire department request that we respond to a call with no light but the siren. Our response to the request was "no".

mycrofft

We had big cue cards for deaf drivers.

not

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Talk about the ultimate confusion. Especially if there's another emergency vehicle at that intersection.

We get people that call 911 all the time if our lights aren't working properly.

"Medic 338, we're getting reports your lightbar isn't operating (or only your lightbar is operating)."

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Talk about the ultimate confusion. Especially if there's another emergency vehicle at that intersection.

We get people that call 911 all the time if our lights aren't working properly.

"Medic 338, we're getting reports your lightbar isn't operating (or only your lightbar is operating)."

We get the calls to our supervisors saying we turned the lights and siren on just to go thru an intersection and then turn them off to beat traffic. Our supervisors have to nicely explain what a cancel is.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain

I doubt it, that concept doesn't exist in Maryland. Here in MD, it's Priority 1.

(Don't get me started on that though, we group "no patient care required" and "dead on scene" both as Priority 4 for reporting, but if you say you have a Priority 4 patient on the radio, it better mean a dead body. Also, a lot of places seem to break Priority 2 responses down further to 2E (emergency) and 2Non (Emergency). At least Priority 3 is clear...)