Do services hire middle aged female EMT-B's?

kitkat

Forum Ride Along
I just passed the National Registry and was wondering if services hire middle aged female EMT-B's. I sure didn't see any when I was duing clinicals. Is this a rare thing.

Thanks

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope.

Just kidding. Many services like those that have had life experience, but it all (should) boil down to your ability to care for patients.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
yes they do. i have seen some out in the field. from what i have seen most middle aged females usually go up into nursing or something above the EMT level. The EMS service (from what i have seen) seems to be a more male dominated career.

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
the only question that is pertinent is: are you capable of doing the job without hurting yourself, your partner or your patient (and yes in that order)

OP
OP
K

kitkat

Forum Ride Along
I'm totally confident that I can do the job. I've heard the physical agility tests can be pretty brutal... any truth to that?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
usually no their not. you dont have to be in shape and run everyday or workout everyday to pass them. its normally just stuff you do in the field normally. lift a gurney with 125lbs. walk up some stairs with some amount of weight.

skills82

Forum Crew Member
The middle age female medics I know work in ER's and at the community college as a proctor for EMT and paramedic classes. They prefer to do that than be on a box.

Pseudonymous

Forum Crew Member
I've seen an incredible amount of middle aged, obese male EMTs around here. It doesn't seem to matter what age or gender you are, as long as you get the job done professionally.

reaper

Working Bum
yes they do. i have seen some out in the field. from what i have seen most middle aged females usually go up into nursing or something above the EMT level. The EMS service (from what i have seen) seems to be a more male dominated career.

Most larger services are about equal in gender. Some are even heavier in Female vs male. EMS is not a Male dominate world any longer,

medic417

The Truth Provider
But the real question then becomes are you really middle aged or actually just ancient?:p

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Most female EMS personnel I know are middle-aged.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

PanzerKitty

Forum Probie
Yeah I've seen a lot of female EMTs and paramedics out where I live. And my EMT class was like 50% female and 50% male, but sadly more of the males passed the class, so there was probably like 30% of us left.