Do not ever bring the stretcher up more than one or two steps.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"Always remember, and never forget..."

harrington-725920.jpg

...to take the BP cuff off the arm before you use that side for an IV.
...not to leave the scalpel behind in a house full of drunks and kids after a field OB delivery.
...turning off the lights with the engine shut off on-scene.
...check LPM on any full-face O2 mask, especially from a convalescent home.
...never use Armor-All on a bench seat.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Shouldn't have to be said, but always wear your seat belt.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

...to take the BP cuff off the arm before you use that side for an IV.

I'll argue this one. I definitely have left the BP cuff in place, inflated it, used it as a tourniquet to get an IV then removed it and placed it on the other arm. Does the same thing and distributes the pressure over a greater area which makes it more comfortable to the patient. :p

I made the mistake of using Armor-All on my steering wheel once in my jeep. :facepalm:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My last partner would always try to bring the stretcher in to the house, regardless of the amount of stairs or how skinny the hallway. I had to eventually tell him just leave the stretcher outside so we can actually MAKE it to the patient in a reasonable amount of time, so we can then decide how best to get them out, either by walking, backboard, stairchair or whatever.

Make sure you take the tourniquet OFF a patient before cursing at the IV for not flowing and DCing the IV...

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Scoop stretcher?

we don't have those. We have a pole stretcher. But there wouldn't of been a place for the vent.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You don't have scoops!?

Epi-do

I see dead people
Make sure you take the tourniquet OFF a patient before cursing at the IV for not flowing and DCing the IV...

Reminds me of a recent run. We had this guy in the back of the truck, and while I was getting the 12-lead hooked up, the other medic on scene started an IV. He finishes up, we run the 12-lead and head off to the hospital. My personal preference is to take BPs in the opposite arm as the IV, when possible. I also like to put the pulse ox monitor on a finger on the arm that does not have the BP cuff, just because I don't want to hear the monitor beep at me for "poor perfusion" everytime I get a BP. Well, I wasn't running any fluids at the time, so I didn't notice a problem with the line not flowing. However, no matter how much I messed with the pulse ox, I couldn't get it to get a good reading. I finally just put it up since we were almost to the ER and he seemed to be perfusing well. We get to the ER, and as we are pulling the patient out of the back of the ambulance, I notice the tourniquet is still on the guy's arm. No wonder I couldn't get the pulse ox to work. I bet his hand was incredibly numb, but he never complained. I popped it as soon as I noticed it, so we didn't go rolling in with it still on his arm, to be found by the nurses.

So, always double check that you removed the tourniquet after starting the IV.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Yes, NV, but you DID remove the BP cuff before USING it.

Starting: good.
Using: bad.
Effect is sort of like an old fashioned alcohol thermometer like in front of the general store...red stripe keeps rising, and rising, and rising...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I can't quote your topic line. I was saying get a BP, reinflate, start the line, deflate then switch to opposite arm.

I agree about BPs on the same arm as the IV from the sense of don't do it.

Anjel

Forum Angel
You don't have scoops!?

Nope. I really can't think of why we would need it.

Between the pole, manual stretcher, and stair chair. We are usually good. When all else fails we blanket carry.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Make sure the first thing you check is the O2/BVM bag and the monitor. Everything else can be faked if necessary.

(tongue in cheek, but true nonetheless...)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Never drop a baby, but if you do, always fake a seizure.

The first thing my basic instructor told us, maybe even before introducing himself, "If you drop the baby, pick it up!"

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Make sure the first thing you check is the O2/BVM bag and the monitor. Everything else can be faked if necessary.

(tongue in cheek, but true nonetheless...)
better add suction and backboards to the list... well that and fuel....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
we don't have those. We have a pole stretcher. But there wouldn't of been a place for the vent.

Like a foldable canvas stretcher, al la M*A*S*H?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
better add suction and backboards to the list... well that and fuel....

"The pt wouldn't tolerate the backboard/lying flat/was combative" is how you would document. As for fuel, my position would be that the gauge was showing just under a half before we pulled out.

I've been in several units already that have fluctuating fuel gauges, and that was actually the truth.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Always strap down or secure in brackets everything in the back. A flying IV tray, O2 bottle, pt's walker, etc. is not cool.

Anjel

Forum Angel