Do most EMTs get their EMTP

WARR

Forum Crew Member
Is it common for most EMT-Bs to eventually get to paramedic stage? How long can you estimate. Also - how many EMT-B's say B's? I would assume it would be a goal for all EMTs but as we know not everyone can reach that goal, weather they are busy working, personally issues or financial.

Thanks in advance/ B)

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Is it common for most EMT-Bs to eventually get to paramedic stage? How long can you estimate. Also - how many EMT-B's say B's? I would assume it would be a goal for all EMTs but as we know not everyone can reach that goal, weather they are busy working, personally issues or financial.

Thanks in advance/ B)

I can't say that I agree with you regarding your statement about becoming a Paramedic being a goal for all EMTs. I know plenty of EMT-B's that are quite happy being EMT's and have absolutely no desire to go to medic school. They usually don't want the additional responsibility or are simply content where they are.

Estimating a timeline is difficult; some go straight from EMT to Paramedic without experience at the EMT level, while others wait several months or years prior to starting medic school. Everyone is different.

I've rode with some EMT's that have been EMT's for almost longer than I've been alive! :blush: I would not recommend viewing a well-seasoned EMT-Basic as an underachiever...

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
My guess would be no. Many paramedic programs have hundreds of applicants for 30 or so seats. Secondly, many EMT's move on to other careers after a dose of On the job reality.

OP
OP
W

WARR

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for replying!

I can't say that I agree with you regarding your statement about becoming a Paramedic being a goal for all EMTs. I know plenty of EMT-B's that are quite happy being EMT's and have absolutely no desire to go to medic school. They usually don't want the additional responsibility or are simply content where they are.
That is actually the question I wanted to ask. lol. Sorry for the word play and such - I thought some people wouldn't understand. :p

Estimating a timeline is difficult; some go straight from EMT to Paramedic without experience at the EMT level, while others wait several months or years prior to starting medic school. Everyone is different.

I've rode with some EMT's that have been EMT's for almost longer than I've been alive! :blush: I would not recommend viewing a well-seasoned EMT-Basic as an underachiever...

No no not at all. I was just under the impression that most Emts want to get to paramedic. Sorry.

My guess would be no. Many paramedic programs have hundreds of applicants for 30 or so seats. Secondly, many EMT's move on to other careers after a dose of On the job reality.
Would you be willing to make a correlation to EMS and another profession regarding moving onto another job? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

18G

Paramedic
A lot of EMT's do not want to be Paramedic's and feel satisfied staying a Basic. Not sure why... but they do.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
A lot of EMT's do not want to be Paramedic's and feel satisfied staying a Basic. Not sure why... but they do.

The one reason (read:excuse) I've heard more than all others combined times 2 is "I don't want the responsibility"

18G

Paramedic
I've heard the "don't want the responsibility" excuse before too.... I also think some like having the minimum just for access to the action and recognition and that makes them happy.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
As a basic.. I will be honest.. Out of the 16 people that were in my basic class two years ago.. only 6 of us are working as EMT.. out of those 6, 2 are paid.

Honestly A lot of people take the basic class just to say they have there EMT or just want the added knowledge of EMS.

With my department.. We get new EMT that come on our volunteer side and are only around for maybe a year or so.. they get burned out, see things that they were not ready to see. or find a job (Pays better) and they stop making time to volunteer. Out of the active duty roster with my BLS department. we have 14-B, 5-a, and 1-p. Now the A and P can only work as a basic! Out of the 14-b.. maybe 3 or 4 will go on and get there A or P.

I am currently getting my pre reqs out of the way to apply for Medic school.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I took an EMT class because I wanted an entry-level medical position, and it seemed more interesting than a CNA class. I would say at least 50% of my class was either firefighters/people who wanted to be firefighters, or people who were planning to go on to a non-EMS medical job.

OP
OP
W

WARR

Forum Crew Member
As a basic.. I will be honest.. Out of the 16 people that were in my basic class two years ago.. only 6 of us are working as EMT.. out of those 6, 2 are paid.

Honestly A lot of people take the basic class just to say they have there EMT or just want the added knowledge of EMS.

With my department.. We get new EMT that come on our volunteer side and are only around for maybe a year or so.. they get burned out, see things that they were not ready to see. or find a job (Pays better) and they stop making time to volunteer. Out of the active duty roster with my BLS department. we have 14-B, 5-a, and 1-p. Now the A and P can only work as a basic! Out of the 14-b.. maybe 3 or 4 will go on and get there A or P.

I am currently getting my pre reqs out of the way to apply for Medic school.
You don't think people make a career out of being an EMT?

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
You don't think people make a career out of being an EMT?

Im not saying that people dont make a career out of being an EMT. I am saying in the BIG picture. Majority will not

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I cant afford the pay cut. :)

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot of EMTs don't even want to be EMTs.

A lot of fire departments require personnel to be EMTs. For example, in Howard County, everyone hired by the county fire department becomes an EMT whether they want to be one or not. It's part of the academy training program; it's about a three-week portion of the academy.

Some volunteer organizations require active riding members to be an EMT as well.

Anyone who is forced into becoming an EMT (at the risk of getting kicked out, taken off active duty, or not getting hired) certainly isn't going to become a paramedic.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah just because someone is an EMT does not mean that they don't know as much as a paramedic. Someone I worked with the other day, when we did a critical care transfer, he knew what albumin was and ejection fraction.

terrible one

Always wandering
The one reason (read:excuse) I've heard more than all others combined times 2 is "I don't want the responsibility"

I've heard the "don't want the responsibility" excuse before too.... I also think some like having the minimum just for access to the action and recognition and that makes them happy.

Just curious why is it an excuse? What if they don't really want to be a paramedic? To me you have to want to be a medic to do it or atleast do it for some time. If they are happy where they are and competent at their job I see nothing wrong with that.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I agree with you, if someone doesn't WANT to be a medic, then I don't want them touching drugs.

But, to stay an EMT for your whole career, with no aspirations to ever do anything BUT be an EMT (IE not even change careers or be an instructor), I'd like to know why, as all it points to, to me, is wanting to be in the action without being of much use to the patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

WARR

Forum Crew Member
I agree with you, if someone doesn't WANT to be a medic, then I don't want them touching drugs.

But, to stay an EMT for your whole career, with no aspirations to ever do anything BUT be an EMT (IE not even change careers or be an instructor), I'd like to know why, as all it points to, to me, is wanting to be in the action without being of much use to the patient.

I take issue with this post - how are they not being much use to the patient? And what is wrong with wanted to be in the action? :unsure:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I cant afford the pay cut. :)
I have met a few that have that as their reason. Not that they wouldn't want the responsibility, but in one case, reclassing to Paramedic would have meant about a 60% pay cut, from his base pay to starting wage as a Paramedic.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I take issue with this post - how are they not being much use to the patient? And what is wrong with wanted to be in the action? :unsure:

Cardiac Patients: Nitro, asa, and oxygen.
Diabetic-Oral Glucose
Pain management-None
Air Way-OPA and NPA, no advanced way to secure an air way.
Overdose-Activated charcoal (where its still approved)

Basics are very limited on what we can do in the field. Yes we can give the patient o2, asa, nitro, help with MDI, Auto Injector, and bleeding control. Yes these are all great skills, but wouldn't you want to be able to do more for you patient??? I know I do!

there is nothing wrong with wanting to be in the action, but why wouldnt you want to be able to do more for you patient?

Yes I am a basic right now, but I am currently getting my pre reqs out for medic school.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Cool, take all the issues you want, I stand by my statement.

I love most of the EMTs I've worked with, and there are a few that can school me in most things medicine any day of the week (JPIN and Lucid, 2 examples)

But fact is, there is very little a Basic can do that has any true benefit to the patient directly... and those times tend to be very rare. Tis why I think Intermediate should be the minimum level, but I'm in the minority with that and most people want to get rid of Intermediates.

Go back through my past 2 years on this forum... I've always stood up for EMTs, so this isn't some "Paragod red patch" thing.

And there is nothing wrong with wanting to 'be in the action'... when you actually benefit it. I'm sure there are a bunch of civilians that want to be in the action as well, but they are of minimal, if any, use on a scene.