DL-51 as of 2015 - California

Twitch559

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone, I know this has been covered somewhat in the past, but no updates from after DOT standards have changed.

I understand that you only need an intrastate medical card for ambulance. Am i still eligible to get one while on Anti-seizure medications, or do i need to move to a state that does not require a medical card? (help from others in the same boat who have been through this will help a lot.)

*looking over the wording of the papers, looking at information by the federal government and DOT have be of no use being they focus on Interstate and somewhat contradict each-other.

* on medication / seizure free for 5 years, no change in medications or amounts.

please move this if it is in the wrong place

OhItzJimmy

Forum Crew Member
I would say no because if you started seizing while working or driving it'll do more harm to your PT & yourself. I know you havent seized for 5 years but companies wont want to risk their name.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Call them and ask what the excluding medical conditions and medications are. That will give you a better answer.

OP
OP
T

Twitch559

Forum Crew Member
Federal Web page says 8 years on meds and 2 years no events.

I'll have to find their hotline and give it a call

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
So I googled the dl-51 form and it says on the form that you cannot be on anti seizure medications. I say still call and ask but you will probably need to find a company that will allow you to not drive or move out of state.

OP
OP
T

Twitch559

Forum Crew Member
That's what I have been seeing as my future, as an emt-b, not many would hire me as an attendant. So out of state is my most likely alternative, but I will call the dmv in the A.M.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Even out of state, I cannot imagine they will allow you to drive without showing some extensive evidence of being seizure free and having NO risk of having another seizure.
Where are you located? I'd look into hospitals and stand-by companies if this is really what you want to do.
On the other hand, nurses don't drive a whole lot...