DISPATCHERS

JonnyNRoy

Forum Probie
Hello, I was in the field for 10 years, took a break and started to Dispatch. Still doing that and like it. I do miss the field, but at least in am still in it to a point.

Any other Dispatcher on here?

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
None that will fess up to it :p

Seriously, welcome aboard. I look forward to getting your input on things. It is always terrific to broaden the viewpoint. Please do not get turned off by our ignorance of your job.

OP
OP
J

JonnyNRoy

Forum Probie
Guess I am the lucky one because I have the experience in the field as an EMT and now see that if it wasn't for the Dispatcher, there would be no field crews....:rolleyes:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
10 years in the field, and I found myself holding the nose of a drunk local to get him to wake up and take him to the hospital instead of being more tender and loving to get him to wake up. At this point I realized that it was time for a change.

accepted a full time dispatch position at another project, a much busier project, but still stayed per diem at my old job to stay on the road (and after waiting 20 months, I might be training for dispatch at my old job lol)

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Guess I am the lucky one because I have the experience in the field as an EMT and now see that if it wasn't for the Dispatcher, there would be no field crews....:rolleyes:

I dispatch part time in a 911 setting. I feel it gives you an advantage having field experience. Dispatchers are an important part of the system, one just has to do the best they can,like everyone else involved in the system.

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
Yes I am dispatched too. Been in the field for almost 18 years now, both as a volunteer and working for private services. I sliped into dispatch because I have RA and it's getting harder for me to lift. I do have the itch to get back on the road every now and then. I do enjoy it. I have the same crews on my shift [graveyard shift]. Great group of coworkers.

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
My husband is a Dispatcher for the county, if that counts! I pretty much live that life as well; being the scanner is blasted loud in our house 24/7. He is the shift supervisor so he has to listen to see if people make mistakes!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
One thing I always try to stress to people in the field: remember, if you are having a bad busy day, odds are one or two people (either the call taker and/or the dispatcher) is having an even worse day, because they are handling the calls for EVERYONE.

Just something I wish field crews would remember before they start blaming dispatch for everything

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
One thing I always try to stress to people in the field: remember, if you are having a bad busy day, odds are one or two people (either the call taker and/or the dispatcher) is having an even worse day, because they are handling the calls for EVERYONE.

Just something I wish field crews would remember before they start blaming dispatch for everything

Amen to that. I worked on both sides, and I know how it is. I hate it when crews try to "armchair quarterback" the dispatcher. The nice thing is that on my shift I have the same crews on my rotation, so we all work well together. I know if one of my crews is getting pumbled, I try to give them a break.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
PT dispatcher for a private service. I work with a good group of people (night shift) so things generally run smoothly.