Diphenhydramine

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone here know the best source of Diphenhydramine I should be carrying in case of anaphylaxis? I know Benadryl comes in many forms but does it come as a chewable, or some other quick dissolving method? I need to carry a few doses with me for work, I work in very remote areas 2+ hour transport times if I am lucky. So I need to have Diphenhydramine on me just in case, I have a bee allergy and tend to tick a lot of bees off by slashing down bush with a machete.I do carry two TwinJect Epinephrine Autoinjectors but I need to carry some sort of histamine blocker as well.

I have seen disolving strips for kids but have no clue what dose they would be.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Benadryl's good, but could render you unable to drive.

If you are in the sticks, that could be "bad".

Chewing a benadryl capsule would work if you washd it down, for rapid absorption. Talk to your doctor or local pharmacist.

csykes

Forum Probie
Children's liquid benedryl works seemingly fast, less than 30 mins from my experience. In true anaphylaxis, you need to make sure you have enough epi and are probably going to need steroids as well for a 2+ hour trek through the woods. We are carrying zantac on our trucks now for severe allergic-anaphylactic reactions for patients with history of asthma.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Children's liquid benedryl works seemingly fast, less than 30 mins from my experience. In true anaphylaxis, you need to make sure you have enough epi and are probably going to need steroids as well for a 2+ hour trek through the woods. We are carrying zantac on our trucks now for severe allergic-anaphylactic reactions for patients with history of asthma.

Zantac blocks H1 as well as H2? Did not know that...

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Really thats interesting I had no idea zantac did that. I will try to carry both LOL I have two TwinJect EpiPens so that's 4 0.3mg doses

csykes

Forum Probie
I did not know that it blocked H1 either, it is a H2 blockade only I thought. Our director went with it to limit cytokine production and limit antibody response without the thickening of secretions caused by benedryl in the asthmatic patient.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
... I'm still not seeing how it's effective for anaphylaxis. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to how blocking H2 helps with that. The way I had figured it was blocking H1 helps with allergic reactions and blocking H2 helps with excess acid production in the stomach... But I've been wrong before. ^_^

csykes

Forum Probie
I am right there with you in not understanding completely how it works, other than there is a massive release of histamine in an allergic rxn and zantac does inhibit antibody synthesis and T-cell formation. Blocking these would in turn slow the allergy process. This is what I gather thus far with discussion with our medical director.

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
What I understood it was it was an H2 blocker, I have never heard of it blocking H1 before though.

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
LOL this conversation is getting smarter than me... basically I need otc meds to have on hand in case of anaphyalxis...Epinephrine is taken care of but I need a Histimine blocker as well I always understood Diphenhydramine to be the best OTC for that but if you guys have other suggestions let me know

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a very simple suggestion for you.

They do make Benadryl auto injectors FYI. Ask your doc for a script.

I used to carry an epi and benadryl auto injector.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I'm thinking zantac is going to be important more for long transport times (like Wilderness)...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't disagree with you on the Zantac, was just informing him and others who read this that there are auto injectors for benadryl.

Summit

Critical Crazy
*nod* my response was just a general response to the zantac subtopic :)

trevor1189

Forum Captain
tylenol simply sleep is just diphenhydramine... makes u pretty sleepy though

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Diphenhydramine is now available as both the dissolving strip (as the Amazon reference above) as well as a rapidly disintegrating tablet. If these products aren't in your medical supply catalogs yet, ask your sales representative to get them for you.

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
I take about a bottle and a half of liquid, children's, benadryl every week for sleep.