dilemma with volunteering

OP
OP
N

Natka303

Forum Probie
of course emt courses will never replace what i can learn in medical school or as a doctor if i do manage to get in. but i also think it would be something interesting to do and to learn a whole new skill. yes it is going to be hard and i will probably hate myself for doing it because i will be exhausted from all the running around, but oh well. you live and you learn.
i found a place: bellmore-merick ems. they seem to take on volunteers so i will give in my application and see what happens.
either way i am probably going to take the emt course and pay for it myself and then continue to paramedic. who knows....
and no i am not in financial difficulties. well.. i am a college student and i get paid minimum wage.... but... i don't want to do it for the money in the first place.

thanks for all the information guys. it is very much appreciated!
wish me luck with my applications and i'll take any suggestions you can give me about interview process and what i can do to give myself the best odds of getting on a crew.

thanks again !

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
*Brown puts down that choclate he was eating and gets an apple instead :ph34r:

Chocolate is a good group, Brown. Along with caffeine and nicotine, it's on the wide part of the EMT food pyramid. ;p

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
essential

Chocolate is a good group, Brown. Along with caffeine and nicotine, it's on the wide part of the EMT food pyramid. ;p

It is essential in any EMT's life... along with alcohol and Chinese takeout.B)

John E

Forum Captain
I'm curious and a bit confused...

how does one volunteer to work as an EMT without having undergone EMT training?

What exactly does one do as a volunteer EMT?, you can't do patient care or at least you shouldn't be without having gone thru the training and gotten your credentials/license.

We have a local community that has an all volunteer fire dept. including EMS, they don't let people without the proper certification do patient care, nor should they of course.

Shouldn't you go and get your EMT training first, then find somewhere to volunteer your time?

I just don't get it.

John E

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
how does one volunteer to work as an EMT without having undergone EMT training?

What exactly does one do as a volunteer EMT?, you can't do patient care or at least you shouldn't be without having gone thru the training and gotten your credentials/license.
He is probably misspeaking. I am guessing he is join a volunteer EMS organization, and they will send you to EMT class. Not just show up and pretend to be an EMT

As for the OP, most volunteer agencies in NYC are small, and only supplement the NYC EMS system. some are not on the 911 system (direct dial only), but most are just local places that serve a select population. they have existed because NYC EMS is historically understaffed, there were absurdly long wait times, this way someone would respond to individual communities.

Not for nothing, but I don't think you should have to pay anything to be a volunteer. I give my time to the organization, I shouldn't have to pay for training, uniforms, equipment, or anything else. but that's my opinion.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
What about the third option? Get the EMT cert, volly to get experience WHILE looking for a job? The volly service may help with finding a job.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
What about the third option? Get the EMT cert, volly to get experience WHILE looking for a job? The volly service may help with finding a job.

They don't help with finding a job. Just apply to Transcare, Citywide, Lifeline, AMR etc etc when you have your EMT.

Most NYS volley agencies pay for you to become an EMT. I do not know if the NYC one follow suit. Probably not but maybe.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
They don't help with finding a job.

Sorry, I was just trying to point out that by volunteering he would get some experience WHILE looking for a job. Never thought the volly agency would help him find a job. Or are you saying that volunteer experience does not help finding a job?

Either way, I was just trying to toss out a third option. Beats sitting around waiting for work.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Sorry, I was just trying to point out that by volunteering he would get some experience WHILE looking for a job. Never thought the volly agency would help him find a job. Or are you saying that volunteer experience does not help finding a job?

Either way, I was just trying to toss out a third option. Beats sitting around waiting for work.

Volunteer experience is good. Some place will recognize and other won't. You should volunteer while waiting for work.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
BTW, some stations will allow "in house" call from the station. That is you stay at the station during your shift. This was the practice we used for the combination (part paid/part volunteer) department I was supervisor at.

We do this too. We have an option to either run from the station or run from home as volunteers. I pull a 12 shift on Friday were I just run from the station because it's more convenient for me. On the weekends (or occasionally during the week) I'll listen to the pager and if there's another run while the duty crew is out on another call I'll take a run from home.

If the choice was up to me, I'd say go with the department who'll pay for your EMT-B class if you don't already have it.

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
I am a volunteer, but fortunately we do in-house shifts, maybe you can get fixed hours like I have and if they don't have in-house shifts do something nearby or sth...

For me, volunteering beats getting paid, i'm weird like that, but it all depends on what your plans for the ems field are

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I volunteer, but simply for learning experience.

The company I work for staffs a paid paramedic on a volunteer service's truck. That volunteer service provides a volunteer EMT/Driver and this arrangement serves as the primary 911 truck. I am a member in good standing of this volunteer service, but I joined simply because it allowed me to run with a paramedic as much as I wanted without having to leave because the company didn't want to pay me anymore. It gives me free reign to pick the paramedic's brain, and the vast majority of them are more than happy to teach. I credit the time I spent/spend there with being most of the reason I'm at the top of my class right now.

Basically the lesson I'm trying to impart is volunteer because you can learn a lot. But if a job comes along, jump on the job like there's no tomorrow. If you're good at something, never do it for free.