Did you ever make mistakes as an EMT?

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
My EMT-B schooling is almost done(one more month and i'm done). I'm pretty confident that i will pass with an A. Only problem is, i'm freaking out because once i'm actually working, there will be many scenarios that we haven't gone over in class or in the book. How long did it take for you to adapt to the environment you now work in? If i make a mistake will i get fired?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Depends upon the mistake, and more importantly, it depends upon what you do AFTER the mistake. Hiding it, lying about it, and not learning from it will absolutely get you fired.

Everyone makes mistakes...what you do after it determines what type of EMT and person you are.

OP
OP
J

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
Depends upon the mistake, and more importantly, it depends upon what you do AFTER the mistake. Hiding it, lying about it, and not learning from it will absolutely get you fired.

Everyone makes mistakes...what you do after it determines what type of EMT and person you are.

So reporting my mistakes is paramount, and learning from them can prevent this kind of situation? Also, if i do land a job, will i have someone experienced observing and correcting me?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yes.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Most places should give you a probie period. Where I am working Ive got 6 months probation. During that time I work my way through the different types of calls. Bls, than ALS (gcs greater than 8), than full on ALS.

Learn from your mistakes and talk them over with cowokers or nurses and docs.

OP
OP
J

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
Okay, thanks guys :lol: Just freakin' out! I'm quite happy with the response you gave me. I know reading a book isn't as concrete, as in actually doing these things.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
everyone will make mistakes. the important part is to learn from them, and not repeat them.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Any medical provider who tells you they haven't made a mistake is lying.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I never make mistakes....

Ok you're right. I am lying lol

Learn from them and move on. As long as you don't seriously hurt your patient, you probably won't get fired.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never made a mistake. Ever. I'm Mr Awesome.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
I think this is the unofficial motto of EMS:

"If you drop the baby, fake a seizure"

Also, I'm sure I've had an exam question in the past that went along the lines of:

You made a mistake on your PCR, do you:
A) Use whiteout and put the correct information
B) Cross out with a single line and initial
C) Sign the PCR with your partner's name

Well, we all know it's C...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think this is the unofficial motto of EMS:

"If you drop the baby, fake a seizure"

If you drop the baby, pick it up first. Only of someone saw is a fake seizure necessary!

tylerp1

Forum Crew Member
As many others have said, everybody will make mistakes and hopefully you learn from them. I would suggest taking responsibility for your actions ALL THE TIME. In my experiences and experiencing others' mistakes, my superiors would be more willing to go to bat for me if the need happened to arise.

One small example in which nobody was injured from my mistake happened when I was working in an ER as a tech. Physician ordered Rhogam and it takes at least an hour for the lab to prepare it for use. An hour and a half after he requested the order, he asked me where it was. :glare: I simply told him I had overlooked the order and it was never placed and that I was sorry for my mistake. I didn't attempt to give him any excuses because there were none.

He told me he appreciated my honesty and asked me what I was going to do about it. I ordered the Rhogam and afterwards spoke to the patient and her significant other to explain to them what had happened and they too told me they appreciated my honesty and that I'd kept them informed.

Bottom line is people get really pissed off when you lie about stuff like that. If I admit my wrong-doing, I then have a 50/50 shot of them being either neutral or pissed off, right?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Making a mistake and lying about it is FAR WORSE than just making a mistake and owning it and taking responsibility for it. I guarantee that I've made mistakes, and seen some, in my medical career... none that I made (fortunately) have resulted in harm to the patient. I would, by far, rather be taken care of by a provider that was honest about any mistakes made than one that lied about making those same mistakes. If they're going to lie about some relatively minor mistakes, are they going to lie about some bigger ones?

And no, I won't say what my mistakes are... just that I learned from them and became a far better care provider than I was. Mistakes can be an EXCELLENT learning opportunity... if you make one or you see one made... LEARN FROM IT!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Stopped at a rollover scene that we witnessed off duty with another Emt buddy and ended up getting my new car wreaked. That counts right?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't make mistakes I'm a Paragod Intern!

Ok total joke.

Anyone who tells you they haven't made a mistake is a liar an more than likely a subpar provider. If you can't own up to mistakes you need an ego check.

No one is going to fire you for making a mistake unless you make a habit out of it or your mistakes can be considered negligent.

If they fired people for mistakes I'd be long gone!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

:D

OP
OP
J

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
Hahaha lovin the response from you guys! You boosted my confidence in this field :) I love how you guys turned it into something to laugh about! :rofl: I'll take what you guys said into consideration. Always be truthful, and willing to comply, never lie, and try your best to prevent corresponding future mistakes. ^_^