Diabetes Hints

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Does anybody have any Mnemonics to differentiate between Insulin shock and Diabetic coma and their signs and symptoms? I want to make sure I get these the second time around. I can't fail again. I missed my midterm this semester by 2 points. I cant lose this again. Any help would be appreciated

Code 3

Forum Captain
I don't know an mnemonics for Hyper/Hypoglycemia. The S/S are pretty much complete opposites so it shouldn't be too hard to distinguish which is which.

Hyper/DKA
  • Onset: Slow
  • B/P: Low
  • Resp: Kussmaul's (deep and rapid)
  • Breath Odor: Sweet and fruity
  • Mental Status: Coma (late sign)
  • Oral Mucosa: Dry
  • Thirst: Intense
  • Vomiting/Abd Pain: Common
  • BGL: High
  • Skins: Warm and dry

Hypo
  • Onset: Sudden
  • B/P: Normal
  • Resp: Normal (possibly shallow)
  • Breath Odor: None
  • Mental Status: altered, unresponsive (insulin shock), agitated
  • Oral Mucosa: Salivation
  • Thirst: None
  • Vomiting/Abd Pain: None
  • BGL: Low
  • Skins: Pale, cool, and clammy

As far as I can remember for testing purposes, the key points were breath odor, onset time, respirations, and skins. I can't exactly remember if they mentioned anything about urination. You'll see excessive urination in a hyperglycemic patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
KempoEMT

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks Code 3.

JELM99

Forum Probie
if they're warm and dry, then their sugar is high.
are they cold, and clammy? give 'em candy.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hypoglycemia episodes used to be called Insulin Shock, in which it is. There is an abundance of Insulin so the body reacts into a shock syndrome such as sudden <LOC, cool clammy skin, rapid pulse, pale. Of course the treatment would be to replace the glucose needed to counter act the Insulin.

Hyperglycemia can lead into Diabetic Coma. It usually takes a long period of time r/t an underlying illness causing a decrease in insulin and too much glucose in the cells. Usually the opposite s/s but altered LOC (after being ill, hot dry skin, Kussmaul (deep,acetone smelling) respiratory breathing to "blow off" the acid bult up from the high glucose level.

R/r 911

OP
OP
KempoEMT

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks Rid, and Jelm

eva357

Forum Ride Along
My husband has high cholesterol like 280. Now he has begun exercising daily. Eats 2 fruits a day which includes an apple, has 6 servings of veggies, Soya products with all meals, oats at breakfast, whole grain breads, lean meat mostly chicken and has reduced saturated/ hydrogenated containing foods to twice a week in controlled quantity. Will this help lower his cholesterol?

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
With the old names, I used to remember it as the first three letters of insulin shock, 'ins' stood for 'I need sugar', and with diabetic coma, they're dying for insulin.
In school, I remember being told that anyone presenting with CLASS (Confusion, lethargy, agitation, syncope, seizure) may be hypoglycemic, and BGL is needed.
It helped me to remember that Kussmaul's and ketoacidosis (both starting with 'k') go together in hyperglycemia, and the poly's (too much of- polydyspia and polyuria) go with hyperglycemia.
To remember most other S&S, thinking about the disease process/patho helps (for me anyways).
Hope this was at least somewhat useful to you.