DHS Investigation

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
So I'm a Arizona EMT and I'm not really looking for legal advice but rather hoping to get some peace of mind on what to expect during this process.

Long story short my partner (Medic) and I (EMT)are being investigated for a complaint lodged by a former paramedic stating that we did not provide an adequate level of pt care or compassion during a call. The main complaint was that we ignored the on scene techs suggestions to backboard a prone pt (non traumatic back spasm preexisting x 2+ years) who was AOx4 and requesting being able to attempt self transfer from and exam table to the gurney. We followed our companies protocols regarding spinal motion restriction and explained our reasoning for ignoring the medic techs backboarding request to them since they had changed since their time with our company. The pt had nothing but gratitude and thanks for our treatment of them and we were very sympathetic to their pain level and situation.
My partner documented the whole situation including the pts request to attempt self transferring.

Ive never been investigated and my real concern is are these things witch hunts where were going to be assumed guilty and have to prove innocence? or are we assumed innocent and must be proven to be guilty?
Im stressing because even though I know we followed policy and did all we could to to compassionately care for the pt, the consequences if we are found guilty are probation or revoking of our state certs.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
You won't get in trouble. Spinal immobilization is not even indicated in patients with non-traumatic back pain. Never been investigated before, so I can't give you specifics, sorry.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Don't stress too much. If you have malpractice this would be a good time to fill out an incident report with them, and just give them a heads up. They may have some more advice. But if you don't have malpractice, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Out of curiosity, was this other medic a fire medic?

OP
OP
WildlandEMT89

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Don't stress too much. If you have malpractice this would be a good time to fill out an incident report with them, and just give them a heads up. They may have some more advice. But if you don't have malpractice, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Out of curiosity, was this other medic a fire medic?

No, it was my regular partner. My manager has already had us fill out reports of our account, and I'm working on getting in touch with my union rep.

I really cant believe this person is complaining about not backboarding a non-traumatic prone pt who was insisting on another form of transferring. he also wasnt opposed to the idea of us transporting the pt face down o_O . I'm just in uncharted territory here and its got me stressing.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You'll be fine. It's a ******** complaint. I doubt you'll have to do much more than you already have, as it likely won't get very far.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm not going to comment on the clinical content of the investigation, but if you're working with a paramedic, the responsibility usually falls on them. Just make sure your documentation (PCR and incident reports) is consistent. If interviewed by the investigator, stay calm and consistent with the documentation. Stating "I don't know" is okay if you don't know.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Sounds like you found a cretin in its natural habitat.